RAT the RAINBOW

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the frame stripped back down to get it ready for paint.
P5290199.JPG

More importantly, I got tires and spokes ordered.
Depending on how the tires look/fit, I may be stealing tires from one of my other bikes that I really like but could not find another set to buy. Curse you, supply chain!
I will try to get the kickback hub broken down, cleaned up and back together by the weekend.

Custom work happening on this cool frame build! There are so many cool vintage frames being used for builds this BO 18. Looking forward to you take on this one.

RaT oN~!

Behold the inner workings of the Bendix Red Band Kickback hub. I will say after remembering how to disassemble one of these that everything can happen from the drive side.
First you have to loosen/remove the adjusting cone lock nut. There is a special tool for this that I don't have, so I made one.
P5300002.JPG

P5300005.JPG

P5300001.JPG
P5300006.JPG
P5300007.JPG

Once you get the lock nut off, everything comes apart really easy.
P5300008.JPG

Beware the 11 loose ball bearings.
P5300009.JPG

There are brake discs in there somewhere.
P5300010.JPG

Brake discs similar to a New Departure hub.
P5300011.JPG
P5300012.JPG

The hub in all its nastiness
P5300013.JPG

Ordered a new high speed clutch and spring. Missing one of the ears.
P5300015.JPG

I also ponied up for a new set of clutch discs. All of the tabs are worn off of the disc on the left.
P5300016.JPG

Bath time.
P5300018.JPG

Behold the inner workings of the Bendix Red Band Kickback hub. I will say after remembering how to disassemble one of these that everything can happen from the drive side.
First you have to loosen/remove the adjusting cone lock nut. There is a special tool for this that I don't have, so I made one.View attachment 234675
View attachment 234676
View attachment 234674View attachment 234677View attachment 234678
Once you get the lock nut off, everything comes apart really easy.
View attachment 234679
Beware the 11 loose ball bearings.
View attachment 234680
There are brake discs in there somewhere.
View attachment 234681
Brake discs similar to a New Departure hub.
View attachment 234682View attachment 234683
The hub in all its nastiness
View attachment 234684
Ordered a new high speed clutch and spring. Missing one of the ears.
View attachment 234685
I also ponied up for a new set of clutch discs. All of the tabs are worn off of the disc on the left.
View attachment 234686
Bath time.
View attachment 234687
Dang, I've got one of those Bendix red band hubs, but I've never seen what it looks like inside. Not gonna lie, having only rebuilt a few coaster brake hubs so far, I can't help but feel intimidated by how complex that 2-speed hub looks.

Dang, I've got one of those Bendix red band hubs, but I've never seen what it looks like inside. Not gonna lie, having only rebuilt a few coaster brake hubs so far, I can't help but feel intimidated by how complex that 2-speed hub looks.
Way more complex than I'd have expected as well. Any instructions on Sheldon Brown? Seem to recall reading them somewhere

I've worked on a few of these now. Not too bad once you get that lock nut off. This is the second red band I've been into. This one is in worse shape than the first.
I do have a link to a pdf for disassembly/assembly instructions with exploded views and parts lists from Sheldon Brown.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sutherland/CB-IGH-3-bendix.pdf

Tire delivery today. The wheels on my Husky are about the same dimension as the S2s I will be using, and already have an 18T sprocket, so I borrowed them for a little mockup.

P6010020.JPG

With the old whitewall
P6010021.JPG

With some Holy Roller action
P6010027.JPG

I really don't know why I broke everything down since I haven't mocked up tires, fenders or anything.
Tire is a 26 x 2.4 and measures right on for these rims.
P6010025.JPG

Plenty of clearance, Clarence.
P6010028.JPG

P6010029.JPG

I had to offer these up to the Husky just for fun.
P6010035.JPG

Maybe I should have bought two sets.

They really transformed the look and stance of that Husky! And a nice fit on the RtR as well.

Good work on 'tooling' that spanner wrench. Dip it in blue plastisol and nobody would know the difference. :bigsmile:

RaT oN~!

I thought I should check how straight my frame was so I ran a string.

P6030040.JPG

Right side 36.5mm.
P6030037.JPG

left side 29.5mm.
P6030039.JPG

After some 2 x 4 action:
P6030041.JPG

P6030042.JPG

Measures 32mm both sides now. I don't know how much being out this amount would affect the handling of the bike, but it is a non issue now.

Attachments

• P6030042.JPG
    P6030042.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back