Ratrod bicycle trailer and soapbox

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is shaping up to be the coolest trailer/cart I've ever seen. The moment I saw how the wheelbarrow frame with the step in the back, it practically screamed "HOT ROD!" Looking forward to more updates on this one!
Thank you. Appreciate it!

From junk steel profile to pro chassis hotrod part, love it!

1000019940.jpg

1000019942.jpg

Both sides.

Both profiles are the same, only length and therefore position on the chassis is different.

Last edited:
Looks good , wheels came out great.😎
Thank you!

Wheels are nearly finished. A buddy of mine is trueing the front wheels (I gotta admit, these 12 1/2" wheels are a nightmare :crazy: ). He has much much more experience with that!

Rear tires are on and I cleaned the threads on the rear shaft, some welding splatters were in the way.

And I found a great grater! This stainless steel speedholed kitchen ornament makes a great grille I believe. I have to look at it when all wheels are on and the faux engine is mocked up.

20240123_102717.jpg

20240123_102729.jpg

Chassis bulkheads are welded!

20240130_114751.jpg

Wheels done. When the front wheels are true'd, I will press the bearings in these rear wheels and assemble them.

20240204_193823.jpg

M10 thread cutter. The nuts are on! I probably use two nuts as shown here (locknut and acorn nut) or one locknut with a nylon ring.

20240207_100517.jpg

Found these at the thrift shop. The left one is a coffee plateau.

20240207_101452.jpg

20240207_101519.jpg

Note: not the final colour, but this looks grater than grate (see what I did there?)

:rofl:

I have the wheels back from trueing. I put the tires on and mounted them on the spindles.

I mounted the inner rear bearings and testfitted the rear wheels too, I couldnt wait.
So the outer bearing and bushes will be assembled soon.

My wife and kid sat on the rear axle and I pulled them for a ride. This went very good! Without a load, the chassis is almost too stiff.
We'll see what happens later on!

1000023825.jpg

1000023826.jpg

1000023829.jpg

1000023828.jpg

1000023830.jpg

1000023832.jpg

Pretty stiff! But no load. I have to think about that. I saw other carts that had that same effect.

Thats great! really liking the front on shot! how youve got the axle heights just right and its running real low in the front, its actually looking like its gonna have a motor n bars or steering wheel added!

Nice video, and you can see what happens if the wheel and axle angles are not sloped to meet at the wheel centre where it touches the ground - massive lift on the outer wheel, which will also have more load if you are going fast. If you had suspension then that would help conceal the difference in height on either side. So the frame is likely going to have to bend when you are riding it. That will be ok though, as long any front bodywork has enough of a gap around it.

It is coming together well, and those holes across the front look really good.

I know what you mean! After a visit on the scrapyard my head is exploding with such ideas.

Awesome!! That thing is a work of art. Thanks for sharing that one.

Certainly an great idea, they sell them in stainless steel most of the time here.

I feel a bit silly photoshopping my idea, since I had an 40 minute timeframe for cutting today....

Checkout the results, I am beyond stoked!

View attachment 227424
Git cuttin'

View attachment 227425
Junk

View attachment 227426
View attachment 227427
Chassis!

View attachment 227428
Mockup time!

View attachment 227430

View attachment 227431
View attachment 227432
Wheelbase 120 centimetres. Quite long, but acceptable.

View attachment 227433
Little bit shorter wheelbase.

View attachment 227434

View attachment 227442
Comparison: different rear wheel, or tire.

View attachment 227436
I like the wide wheel a bit more.

View attachment 227437
Sick!! Love it!
This, sir, is an appropriate thing at which to shout FABULOUS. Rarely have I seen that type of wheelbarrow frame, but easily see the worth here. I saved 2 damaged tubs & bits from landfill, thinking on similar use after seeing them in a magazine.

Way cool! Trailers are handy. I use mine for carting beer and pizzas - and trips to the hardware store.

View attachment 248672
Like that muchly, sir. 8 ball & Mr. Speed, too. Very into trailering, more than 1 question arise. So far, none of mine have had fender-bumper- bars protecting the wheels. Do they attach securely enough to mount regular front wheels (with regular axles)? I recently saw a photo of one that had the "additional" bars mount to the frame onboard of the wheels, enclosing wheels within the frame. Thank you

Well clearly my imagination was running away from me because I thought this is going to be a motorized go-kart for you.

Around here what you will see in fancy child’s wagons are mostly all built in China now. This is what I bought for my wife to do her gardening.

View attachment 252857
More often you see these with wooden slats for sides. This one is going to outlast me and my wife.
That is a fine example, too, sir. Strangely hard to find used Gorillas in these parts.

Latest posts

Back