Rattled (ex ≈ PeaceTogether ≈ name change)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
end-is-near.jpg

So, reassembly has begun...
68_ReassemblyStarted.jpg

The seat ready for covering. I decided on sack cloth instead of the leather...
69_Seat.jpg

I used hangi sack instead of the sugar sack to wrap the handlebars...
70_BarsWrap.jpg

And I used some old nuts as end plugs in the bars...
71_BarsEndPlug.jpg

I decided to use the hangi sack on the seat as well. Here it is cut and ready to assemble...
72_Seat.jpg

And here it is done...
73_Seat.jpg

I then decided to put some of the sack on the gear lever attachment instead of the inner tube piece I had previously...
74_GearLever.jpg

This cork screw will be the gear knob...
75_GearLeverKnob.jpg

It slides nicely into the lever tube...
76_GearLeverKnob.jpg

And looks quite good in position...
77_GearLeverKnob.jpg

Also put some of the hangi sack onto the lid of the headlight mount where the battery pack is...
78_BattBoxLid.jpg

Added the RRB Forum Member plate to the top of the bottom bracket...
79_RRBplate.jpg

Got the tail light fitted up and working. Not happy with the switch but it will have to do...
80_TailLight.jpg

Just a bit more to do then I can take some photos... hopefully. Been raining here but clear at the moment so hoping it'll stay that way until this afternoon :roll:

Great work going on in that shop of yours!
Dig the hangi sack, even though I dont know what hangi is.
Love the shifter!
Tick Tock.

LukeTheJoker said:
Nice work Glen! See you over at the finished bikes thread!

Luke.

Yeah Luke, it'll be there soon-ish.

kingfish254 said:
Great work going on in that shop of yours!
Dig the hangi sack, even though I dont know what hangi is.
Love the shifter!
Tick Tock.

Kingfish, I am surprised that you didn't learn about the hangi when you visited NZ. It is a traditional method of cooking food using heated rocks buried in a pit dug into the earth. Here is a wiki link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C4%81ngi

Got the finishing touches done, but as feared, it poured with rain so no snazzy photo shoot for me :(

I only had some white plastic pedals so I painted them flat black. It just scratched off so I then covered them with and old inner tube stretched over...
81_Pedals.jpg

Then I wrapped the edges with some jute...
82_Pedals.jpg

There were these open ends of the tubes where the chain and seat stays attach...
83_TubeEndTidy.jpg

So I made some sack covered plugs...
84_TubeEndTidy.jpg

And that's about it. I'm calling it done...

DSC_0213.jpg

Finished thread link will be here soon... just got to organise the photos/video I took in the garage :roll:

EDIT: Finished thread... viewtopic.php?f=79&t=75580

deven_science said:
Covering the pedals with inner tube looks good! Great idea.

Thanks Deven. That was a bit of a lightbulb moment when I getting a bit panicky about having yucky white pedals and the black paint scratched almost immediately. I reckon they look great now. :D

Thanks for the comments folks, and a big thanks to all that gave Rattled a vote. Came in at 9th place in the Anything Goes class :D

I love Glen's builds, they're so organic and the use of 'found art' ...it's really more hard core than looking at some of the showroom quality bikes...they all tend to look sortof the same after a while.
In my woodworking career, I used to build furniture out of reclaimed 'anything'. driftwood, tree limbs, deadwood... much more creative than just going to the lumber yard......ha
and....those pieces always got the most attention, it seems.

Clever ideas Glen....:thumbsup:
Oh, maybe another reason I feel simpatico is that I just picked up a cheapo flux core like he uses....not because I'm cheap, I'm broke, (there's a difference)....I think when you're broke it tends to lead one to workarounds that are often more creative then sending your ideas off to your 'welder', your 'striper', your painter', your 'chrome guy', your 'powdercoat guy"...you get the idea....I don't see that as really 'building a bike. uh uh...not at all ....ya gotta hunt for junk and get your knees dirty.....
Rock on Glenster.
F r a n c o

I love Glen's builds, they're so organic and the use of 'found art' ...it's really more hard core than looking at some of the showroom quality bikes...they all tend to look sortof the same after a while.
In my woodworking career, I used to build furniture out of reclaimed 'anything'. driftwood, tree limbs, deadwood... much more creative than just going to the lumber yard......ha
and....those pieces always got the most attention, it seems.

Clever ideas Glen....:thumbsup:
Oh, maybe another reason I feel simpatico is that I just picked up a cheapo flux core like he uses....not because I'm cheap, I'm broke, (there's a difference)....I think when you're broke it tends to lead one to workarounds that are often more creative then sending your ideas off to your 'welder', your 'striper', your painter', your 'chrome guy', your 'powdercoat guy"...you get the idea....I don't see that as really 'building a bike. uh uh...not at all ....ya gotta hunt for junk and get your knees dirty.....
Rock on Glenster.
F r a n c o

Sorry for the late reply on this Franco and thanks for the kind words. :)

I agree that being 'without appropriate funds' is a kick in the creative rear which usually ends with things that are 'superior', perhaps not in quality, but in sense of achievement and pride.

Cheers,

Glen.

PS: Rattled is now owned by fellow ratrodbiker, Endlesschain.

Latest posts

Back