Ratty Caddy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The ratty caddy is done. I had some ideas for a chainguard and a carrier, but I had problems with most every part of this build, and I'm satisfied with it as it turned out. I also kept the costs to a minimum.

This is a 1963 Schwinn Bicycle Built For Two. The frame, forks, rear handlebars, and handlebar stems are original, as are the 36 tooth lucky 7 sprockets.
a0bj9.jpg

It was so hot and humid, the camera kept fogging up.
35kpvo6.jpg

44 tooth star sprocket from a 24" AMF girls bike. I didn't clean it up, it looked ratty just as it was.
It changed the gear ratio so it's an easy cruising bike for us, the original sprocket had 46 teeth.
bimsrc.jpg

Chain tensioner from a Mossberg tandem.
b65x0y.jpg

One of the wife's fancy measuring spoons. She hasn't noticed yet. Also proof that this was not a professional paint job.
2ustx90.jpg

Lucky 7 sprocket, didn't clean it up, or the rear one either.
1036elw.jpg

Rear sprockets. The small one was so bad it needed some flat black paint. Original kickstand housing was gone before I got the frame.
2h4hwtl.jpg

Old english bell and Memory Lane speedo. I have the cable but didn't hook it up. Walmart grips front and rear.
oa3zh2.jpg

300qmoj.jpg

29msuhg.jpg

love it - clean and ratty

I really like the use of the measuring spoon for the brake arm clamp. I saw that on a couple bikes that some guy had on Ebay except his were old like classic spoons - only befitting. I keep an eye on CL all the time for a T that's under $100 - good luck, right. Patience comes to those that wait. I like your nice bright colors - definitely draws your eyes to the bike. Looks great & have fun riding.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I've seen 2 old tandems on CL in the last 3 months that were 50-75 bucks. I almost bought one to replace this one because of the drivetrain problems it had. They only made my tandem for 2 years so I kept it, otherwise it was history. I'm glad I stuck it out.

roadmaster said:
clean, classy and definatly ratty. betcha she cruises nice. :mrgreen:

Yes, it's a comfortable ride, the 44/20 tooth combo gives the perfect gearing for the wife and I, nice and easy. Just has a worn sprocket in the rear that makes me think the chain is coming off, but I've got a new set of sprockets coming that will fix that. Same sprockets, so it will look the same.

nice.
i like the lucky 7 / star chainring combo

Latest posts

Back