Re: The Great Space Coaster 6/15 Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
RRBBO #7 Yeehaw.....

I WILL Finish and Submit a Bike at the End....

I make this oath because last year I didn't, and it Really bummed me out....
I didn't touch a bike, other than to ride one to and from work, for something like 5 or 6 months....

Things with bikes have been going extremely well for me lately... If you follow Fresh Finds at all you'll
know I've picked up a few Spaceliners lately,( My Favorite Frame ).... So I was struck with Inspiration !

The first bike build I saw on this forum was the Schwinnliner :
Hooch said:
done
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26231&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
ttttt.jpg

I've wanted to try a bike like that ever since....I'm going to do mine with Spaceliner frames...

My " Build Off Frame ".....

PICT4721.jpg

And " Donor Frames and Parts "....

PICT4722.jpg

PICT4723.jpg

PICT4724.jpg

Yes... That means I'll be cutting up the chrome ladies Spaceliner...Heresy....
I'll be doing it all as bolt on as best as I have thought about it...
I own a welder now but have never done any welding so far... I might have to try some before this is all said and done...
Build Off time is a time to push yourself and try new things, I think....

Even though I didn't finish last year, I had a blast trying new things and watching everyone's threads.

Good Luck to All putting it out there....

Re: The Great Space Coaster

I like bikes that are too tall or too long, this should be great, PLUS I love when people cut up bikes that make people cringe. I like that your parts pile is so shiny and your build frame is... not. I'm watching.

Do work!

Thanks Guys, I appreciate you all looking... I really hope to pull this one off.

brett4christ Pm replied...

And by the way I changed my avatar for the Build Off... Some might recognize it from the Hype thread....
MuuHAW haw HAW.....

Cool cool pile of parts there, but what I find really amazin is that this will be the first ever mutant FRANKEN-KITTY BIKE ever built!! :D

Re: The Great Space Coaster 5/2/12

Well, I spent yesterday before work, and this morning tearing the bikes down.
The Rust bikes' Headtube and Forks came apart relatively easy...I was expecting more resistance.
The Bottom Bracket and Cranks were rusted almost solid...
With Patience, Leverage, and alot of PB Blaster I finally got it apart.....
I don't think I'll be reusing the bearings from there....
I had wanted to use the crank, but the chainring side might be too rusted out....We'll see...

PICT4728.jpg

PICT4732.jpg

The Chrome Ladies Donor was coming along No Problem.... Until... I got to the pedals....
I've had problem pedals in the past, but these are being just plain ornery...

PICT4730.jpg

PICT4729.jpg

Baby steps you know....

Thanks for looking... And for the enthusiasm so far....
I'm watching all you guys as well...

I had a pedal that I couldn't break free for anything! It was a 9/16" newer Look clipless pedal on a road bike. Both sides, could not budge them. No rust. I went and bought wrench and put it on the grinder to fit perfect and still nothing. These pedals had the allen hole on the end, tried using that, nothing. Finally I bought a Park pedal wrench, put it on the pedal and it was off with 1 easy twist. I've sworn by only using a correct pedal wrench from then on.

yoothgeye said:
Finally I bought a Park pedal wrench, put it on the pedal and it was off with 1 easy twist. I've sworn by only using a correct pedal wrench from then on.

+1
There truly is a lot to be said for using the correct tool for the job. I'd recommend to anyone that does this with any frequency to buy them. Sometimes, the bike tools overlap with regular hand tools, fine. But there are a lot of them that are specialized for a reason.

Cool frame to start your build off. I am looking forward to seeing this one built.

Re: The Great Space Coaster Update 5/14

So I haven't done much in the last week or so....
Kids had a Bowling Tournament down in Tucson last weekend so I was gone, and the past week was crazy for a number of reasons....
Really I had a lose of Gumption... ( Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, My Favorite book of all time ) I was as stuck as those pedals on the chrome Spaceliner....
Yesterday I decided it was time to get back on the horse...
So against the advice of others I took an idea from yoothgeye and ground down a set of 9/16 s and decided to give that a try..... It Worked !!! Then it didn't.... The left side was NOT coming off so I finally decided to take my angle grinder and CUT it off.... I had reservations about cutting perfectly good crank arms, but then I thought what the heck I'm cutting a perfectly good chrome frame for this Build Off....

PICT4750.jpg

Once that was done I finished tearing down both frames to bare minimum, and took pictures to try and figure where all would meet in the end...

PICT4735.jpg

PICT4737.jpg

hybridspaceabc.jpg

This morning,with the kids off to school, I decided it was time to move on....

First hurdle was joining the ladies frame to the rusty mens frame... a couple of weeks back I was at a Bike Estate Sale and picked this up... I think it is a conversion bottom bracket and I thought it would fit....

PICT4740.jpg

PICT4741.jpg

After finding the correct tiny little hex to unscrew and finagling it fit perfectly in the bottom bracket... I slightly widened the dropouts on the mens frame and screwed it all together....
I was on a roll and decided to put the font forks and some wheels on it and do a mock-up....

PICT4742.jpg

PICT4743.jpg

I want a LONG banana seat and have thought about combining a little girls bike banana seat with the Fat Manta Ray ( New Version... see my Fresh Finds ) banana seat I have.... mock-up...

PICT4744.jpg

PICT4745.jpg

Some other issues I'll have to figure out... combining the two chainguards....

PICT4746.jpg

And finally a close up of that bottom bracket attachment...

PICT4748.jpg

Now I'm going to have to decide where to cut the headtube from the chrome frame and how to attach it... I have ideas of where I want it cut and how I'm going to attach it to the front frame, but I might have chain clearance issues....
I guess I'll figure it out as I go, but I'm back to working and that's where I need to be....
Thanks for looking guys.... any comments would be appreciated....
And I'm Digging a Bunch of other builds out there.... Keep it up guys, and gals ( I think there are a couple this year already... )

maybe cut the bottom tube completely off the girls bike and bend the 2 top tubes down and weld them between where your top 2 tubes of the boys bike meet the seat tube.

I am TOTALLY following this build!!!

Spaceliners!
Homemade Longtail!
Wicked Southeast Asia Hindu Love God hood ornament!
Banana seats!

More More!!!!

Latest posts

Back