read roadbike tire sizes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Ok, idiotic question and google and youtube just showed me people obviously reading tires incorrectly. I'm looking at tires 28x 1 5/8x 1 1/4
Can I assume that this tire is 28" diam., 1 5/8" tire width, and 1 1/4" tall from bead to outside of tire? I've never had to deal with 3 numbers before. But now I have some foreign 28" clincher wheels that need tires. Looks like there are some affordable options but I want these as wide as possible. Don't want super-skinny tires on this. It would defeat the purpose. Thanks for the help

There are two different 28" tire sizes. One is ISO 622 which is the same as 700c and 29ers. The other is ISO 635 and is a truer 28". These are usually found on the older euro bikes. The 622s have many options for tires, but the 635s are far more limited.

ozzmonaut said:
Will 622 fit on euro 28" wheels?

It depends on the wheel. If the size isn't stamped on the rim then you will have to measure the diameter of the wheel. I have some 622 wheels in the garage to measure for comparison.

The 622 and 635 are bead diameter in millimeters so there is no way to interchange one size for the other on the rims.

we're starting to see a lot of dept store bikes (mongoose, schwinn, etc) with tires marked 28x1 5/8. they're generally just normal 700c hybrid tires.

take a wheel to your shop and see if a 700x35 pops on. :)

I want to go with some 622 28x 1 5/8 on ebay that include tubes and rimstrips. My wheels are pretty wide so I'm guessing 635 will be what I need. But I'll check anyway.

I'm still not too sure what wheel I have. They are the euro style I guess and are the profile designed for rod brakes, Westwood I believe. Any help? My LBS doesn't want to try a 700c on it for me unless I want to spend some money.

28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/4 is a French size for 700 x 32c 700c course , according to Schwalbe North America- Tech Info . A wealth of information there on these types of questions that are frequently asked.

ozzmonaut said:
....My LBS doesn't want to try a 700c on it for me unless I want to spend some money.

it would take 10 seconds (or less) to see if it fits... :?

The wheel is all crusty and old, probably early 30's, and I guess he doesn't want his nice clean tire on my dirty wheel. Only shop in town though, and he isn't into anything that isn't a high end bike. I've hosted a bicycle show for the past 3 years, giving him advance notice and a flier each time. He hasn't showed once, and I hold it on a Sunday, so it's not like he's running the shop that day. Is there anything I can tell just by measuring the rim itself? I'm pretty sure it will be a ISO 635 though. But I hate to order them until I am sure.

Sheldon's site states that Westwoods are generally 635, but apparently westrick was the same design, but available in different sizes. I think it might be enough to order the 635s. I passed up a used set in cream on ebay too. Now wish I'd grabbed them, because I'm only seeing new 635 in black available.

All this guesswork, but Ozz has already measured the rim, and we already know it's a 635. 635 would be 25" diameter at the bead-seat; 622 would be half an inch smaller.

Delta Cruisers are your best bet, imho. Come in a few colors, wear well, roll well, etc.

(Many Westwood-profile rims are 635s or 590s, but there are Westwood 622s as well. Maybe some other sizes, too. But being from the 30s and being huge, I feel certain that it's a 635. Knowing what bike they're off of would help, too.)

ozzmonaut said:
Sheldon's site states that Westwoods are generally 635, but apparently westrick was the same design, but available in different sizes. I think it might be enough to order the 635s. I passed up a used set in cream on ebay too. Now wish I'd grabbed them, because I'm only seeing new 635 in black available.

Nonsense. http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Delt...&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=28+delta+cruiser+cream

If normal retailers fail you, get em direct from Schwalbe: http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/delta_cruiser_hs392

Bicycle808 said:
ozzmonaut said:

Nonsense. http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Delt...&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=28+delta+cruiser+cream

If normal retailers fail you, get em direct from Schwalbe: http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/delta_cruiser_hs392
Search bar says cream, but the description states black compound. And the pic shows a black tire.

Plus the link on amazon shows a 28 x 1 1/2 available, but some with this size on the side are not 635. I'd like to find some definite 635 in cream or white. The bike is dark blue/white, and the wheels are black/rust so some lighter tires would really add some balance I think.

ozzmonaut said:
Plus the link on amazon shows a 28 x 1 1/2 available, but some with this size on the side are not 635. I'd like to find some definite 635 in cream or white. The bike is dark blue/white, and the wheels are black/rust so some lighter tires would really add some balance I think.

Ozz, you just gotta do some reading and some clicking. If you follow the amazon link, you click on "color" and choose black, cream, or whitewall. Once you select "cream", you click on "select size" and click on "28x1 1/2", not 700x35c.

If amazon makes you nervous, go to the schwalbe site I'd linked, scroll down to the 4th option from the bottom, which says "11158007.01 40-635 28 x 1-1/2 KevlarGuard Creme SBC 35-65 770 g 50 115 kg 17, 19 $20.95"

And click on "add" to put one in your basket. Then go to the basket and update the quantity to 2. While you're on the scwhalbe site, you can order actual 635 tubes, although in my experience, 700x40c tubes will work just fine.

Don't fret, Ozz. 635s might be new to you, but many of us have messed with them before. Regardless of color, you'll want Schwalbe Delta Cruisers. (Schwalbe makes 635s in black or cream, with or without a reflective stripe, which costs $7 more). If you want cream 635s, you have no other choice but Schwalbe Delta Cruisers. Order with confidence. BTW, cream tires look rad on dark blue bikes.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back