Really old heavy duty mystery wheel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I got this from a guy who said it came off of old whizzer motorcycle? 26" bike tires fit it. I've only been able to find one other online, it is described as a Quill front hub? Here's the one online so you can see the stamp better: and here's mine: the axle can just slide out, like a quick-release.

That's a pretty desirable hub, being a Morrow/Eclipse 36-10. It may have a letter-number date code somewhere on it like J2, but this dating started in 1931. No date code could signify pre-31 and that stamping does appear to be earlier. It could have been an earlier motored application, but by the time Whizzers came out, forebrakes were standard practice.

The axle sliding out likely means that the threads are severely stripped and needs new bearing races or a new axle.

Worksman still offers knock-out hubs. Pretty cool. Some forks used in conjunction with these hubs have holes for the axle, rather than drop-outs. It's quite the h-d set up.

Latest posts

Back