RECENT EBAY EXPERIENCE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
So I'm trying to sell the 85 GT Mach One that I have and I list it on the CL locally for about two weeks. No real takers there so I decide that it's time for Ebay.

I list the bike on EBay last weekend and then I get an email from a guy locally on Saturday saying that he saw my CL ad and is interested in the bike. I have it listed on the CL for $300 cash OBO. The guy offers me $250 for the bike and respond and tell him that if he brings me $275 cash that day then the bike is his. He then emails me back and says, how about $260? I then email him back and send him the link to the Ebay auction and tell him that the bidding is up to $202 with a reserve of $250 and that I have 54 people watching the auction. I tell him that he should just bid on the bike on Ebay and maybe he'll get it for $250. He then emails me back and says, how about $270 and you meet me across town for a pick up. I'm starting to get annoyed at this point because the guy is dickering with me over $5 - $15 and on top of that he is now asking me to deliver the bike to him. He lives about 30 minutes from my house tops. At this point I just chose to ignore his emails and move on.

Fast forward to the next evening (Sunday) and I'm watching the last few minutes of the auction hoping that people bid the price up past the reserve. Sure enough, in the last 2 minutes the price starts jumping up and ends at $280. I check to see who the winner is and it's the guy who was emailing me local the day before. I think to myself, well, at least I don't have to box it up now. I notice that he has 276 feedbacks with a rating of 100%.

I send the guy an email and tell him when I would be available for him to pick up the bike. I end up getting this email back from him....

was talkin to my wife and need to back out i guess my rott is havin pups and will need to get the tails cut and im racin at desoto for double point and state race next week end and the same thang at cowtown the week after didnt thank the money was that tight i real wont the bike this was the first bike i raced in the 80's

After a few emails back and forth it's become clear that this person is not going to buy the bike and I'm trying to decide what to do about it. I spent a whole week hyping this bike up on the forums getting people to watch the auction. I emailed him and said if he was willing to pay the $20 in fees for the auction and leave me a positive feedback then I'd pretend like none of this ever happened. Waiting to hear back from him on this.

Anyone ever run into deadbeats like this?

Unfortunately Yes, and not just on Ebay. I had a car for sale locally and had the same sort of thing happen. The sad part is I passed on a couple of good offers because one joker told me that he really wanted the car. I got the same sort of hard luck story from him.
Can you do a second chance offer to the next highest bidder?

Steve, it sure sounds to me like he bid intentionally to be the high bidder than back out because he could not buy it from you locally, Notify ebay he won't pay and you will get your final fee returned and he will get a black mark. Remember, he is the one that broke the contract

That sucks, I am kinda dealing with the same deal on CL as this guy wants it and he is on vacation.....and says he will send a money order to buy and give me 30 extra to hold it till the money order arrives so it is basicly tying up my sale if he is serious....have serious doubts

KZ1000 said:
Steve, it sure sounds to me like he bid intentionally to be the high bidder than back out because he could not buy it from you locally, Notify ebay he won't pay and you will get your final fee returned and he will get a black mark. Remember, he is the one that broke the contract

I actually thought the same thing. I even called him on that and said that if I didn't know better I'd think he was doing this on purpose to mess with me. He responded by saying that he had good feedback and that it was all because of his wife.

I've started the transaction cancellation process so when he approves of that I can give the next bidder a 2nd chance offer.

And of course, Ebay has the new "Sellers not able to leave negative feedback" rule that just makes all kinds of sense. :roll: :roll: :roll:

i had the same thing happen to me when i was trying to sell my rc cars on ebay last week! some guy bid on it and shot the bid from $85, clear up to $150! you can imagine how excited i was when i got home and saw that it went up that high! then i got an email from him saying that he didnt mean to bid and would like me to cancel his bid. i flat out told him that i didnt know how to do that since it was my first time selling on ebay! well the guy figured it out and the bid went back down to $85....but quikcly jumped once time started running out. some people just arent smart enough when it comes to buying things off ebay. its a friggin contract for a reason people!!

Easy E

Latest posts

Back