recent finds...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just uploaded pics off the camera, so here are the finds for the last couple weeks:
police auction western flyer, 3 speed twist shift -$5-
DSC_3398.jpg

patina!
DSC_3399.jpg

police auction large framed fuji (i'm 6' 3") thats gonna be a new commuter... -$2-
thought about making my first fixie, but i think the dropouts are wrong... thoughts?
DSC_3400.jpg

pixie makings, bike and crank pulled from "spring cleanup" trash piles- FREEBIE!!!!-
DSC_3425.jpg

and garage sale find of the day- '72 schwinn sports tourer
DSC_3423.jpg

i <3 chicago...
DSC_3424.jpg

wont say here what i paid for the schwinn, but your looking at less than a $20 investment for all 4 bikes!! :D

Nice finds. All may not be lost on making the Fuji a fixie. If it has a newer style cassette(not the old screw on) you can use these converters to make it single-speed. I have one on a redline skookum frame that I built up as a single-speed, you can see the gizmo below, this one was from Nashbar, like $25 but lots of places carry them;

IMG_0259.jpg
IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg
IMG_0262.jpg

thats a slick conversion, i like the tensioner alot. so its a true fixed gear then? i gotta get myself a nashbar catalog...

lol grr tomb i need that headlight lense for my panther haha

IMG_0260.jpg

The singlelator won't work for a fixed

You need horizontal dropouts for regular fixed hub, I can't really see from the photo for sure, but the bike look like it should have them.

DSC_3400.jpg

ive converted semi-horiz to fixie many times. ive also dont vert dropouts. its all about how hard you tighten. it can be done, and done well.

thanks for the reponse guys, i will try to drag the fuji out later and get a pic of the rear...

the schwinn would be perfect to convert as its dropouts are just right, but the frame is a little too small for me, and i bought it to clean and flip... I rode it down the block yesterday though, its one of the smoothest bikes i have ever ridden... the front tires still have the nips on them!

The "singleator" was offered as a single-speed alternative, since the conversion is much easier for a whole range of issues on a vertical dropout bike. It is still possible to convert a Shimano cassette to a true fixed gear, but the vertical dropout will really require use of either an eccentric bottom bracket or rear hub(White Bros ENO) to adjust chain tension, but that's just the start. None of those options are typically very cheap.

Regarding the Fuji - If it has horizontal dropouts, your in business. I'm guessing from the the pictures your bike has the older style freewheel as opposed to a cassette or freehub. The freewheels make for easy fixin'. Remove the freewheel, spin on a threaded track hub, lock it down with a bottom bracket lock ring and presto! One fixed hub! You will more than likely need to run the chain on the inner chainring up front, possibly with some shims to get a proper chain line.

I've fixed a Bianchi this way just last weekend, I can post some pictures if you like.

Tons of fixie info can be found at Fixed Gear Gallery

Hope this helps

-Mp

Multipass said:
I've fixed a Bianchi this way just last weekend, I can post some pictures if you like.

Tons of fixie info can be found at Fixed Gear Gallery

I have been checking out the FGG, good stuff, as much as i love the style of all the bikes on here. I am really appreciating the basic/bare bones esthetic of alot of those bikes... this is why I want to build one eventually...
the beauty of the mechanics.

Back