Recovering a banana seat-help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I picked up a banana seat for a project I'm working on. It was in two pieces. The bottom is metal (with the seat tube mount) and the other half had a rusted out metal dish that held the foam/plastic cover. On this latter part, the metal was totally rusted out so I removed it. I want to recover the whole thing but I'm not sure how to affix the vinyl to the metal base. Any ideas/suggestions?

I'm not sure how you would recover that one. You really need the 2 pieces. Can you find another seat somewhere that has both pieces intact? Gary

Why do you need the two pieces? i'm new at this and would like to learn :) Any good websites on banana seat repair?

That definitely makes sense--the problem is the rusted out pan basically has no edges--it will not take the fabric down past the bottom pan. So, I'm left with just the bottom pan, the padding and the rubber cover. I may just sandwich together what I have and contact cement the rubber over the metal lip if I can stretch it enough. It was a free seat so I might as well tinker :)
Thanks for the advice everyone!

You could drill holes around the edge...maybe every 2" or so just up a litte from the bottom edge. Then put on your pad. Add the cover over the pad and glue it with contact cement like Mark said with the large size paper clips. Then get some copper rivets at the hardware store, perforate the cover where the holes are and put the rivets in and crimp them. That should hold it. I can post a pic of the paper clips and rivets if you need to see what they look like. Gary

Latest posts

Back