Recumbent, Trike, NOW a Hercules!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Went on my daily rounds today and turned up another scrapyard score! The owner had it put back in the back room for me. I take one look and I go straight back to the office and ask how much. He says $20. I didn't argue. Handed him a Jackson and loaded it up on my trailer. Got it home and found out the back trike kit had a bad weld and needed re-welded so I gave a buddy $20 to re- weld it and make a gusset to strengthen it further. Well enough of the history you are all here to see the pics! So here's my $40 recumbent.
As found
Recumbent001.jpg

21 speed with a DISK BRAKE :shock:
Recumbent002.jpg

As it sits now
Recumbent003.jpg

Later on I'll probably go ahead and blow it apart and re-paint it then grease everything while it's apart. I'm thinking some WCC 20x3's on the back tucked into some wide fenders, candy red with heavy metal flake, some pinstripe work, re-upholster the seat in black leather with chrome studs, lights, and maybe a springer fork. 8)

Re: Scrapyard Recumbent!

I like it, I wish I had people closer to tear stuff apart with... Ive met a few but coflicting schedules

Joe....... I'm beginning to think you wait at the gates of the scrap yards every day for when they open!!

Cool find. If you decide to part with it let me know.......my oldest has been wanting one.

Chips_Mahoy said:
Joe....... I'm beginning to think you wait at the gates of the scrap yards every day for when they open!!

Cool find. If you decide to part with it let me know.......my oldest has been wanting one.

I'll let you know if I sell the recumbent, I'm kinda liking it at the moment so I may keep it. I do have another trike (Non-recumbent) I'd sell. Just bought it out of a guy's back yard next door to the hardware store when I went to get bolts and paint for the recumbent. :mrgreen: I tell you they find me and try to follow me home. This one is an old sears roebuck and company, 3 speed, Dual chain so both wheels drive. Spokes in one wheel are kinda loose but other than that it's complete and working.
bender3.jpg

bender4.jpg

As far as waiting at the gate of the scrapyard, I've actually found that if I go of an evening just before closing I can see what they'll have in the morning and don't have to wake up early. I normally go up there twice a day. Once at about 10-11 AM so they have a chance to get a nice pile of today's stuff, then again around 3-4:30 when they close so I can see what they got in. Also going there and back I take a different route every time so I can pass by and check most all the alleys, garage sales, 3 second hand stores, a flea market, 2 pawn shops, the bike shop's dumpster, and it's all on the way. Great exercise and profitable.

Well after that ride I came home and broke apart the recumbent and did a little paint and adjusting.
bender.jpg

I went with a red / black fade because their blue looks like a smurf threw up in a can.
(Yes that is being held up by my bike trailer and an old adjustable hospital table I found in the trash)
bender1.jpg

bender2.jpg

Starting to look like a bike again
bender5.jpg

bender6.jpg

Pulled out the canopy (it got hot).
bender7.jpg

And threw a little padding on the back
bender8.jpg

bender9.jpg

bender10.jpg

bender11.jpg

Definitely let me know on the recumbent! I'm good for trikes at the moment. Did I just say that out loud??!! I'm picking up an old sears 24", 2 Schwinn ladies lightweights, 1or 2 English lightweights and that 65 Typhoon finally! Then I have another stop with a neat Hercules, a Chinese made tandem, and a couple old 10 speeds. On the third stop will be a couple frames. The fourth and final stop will be another old, unknown brand trike with an awesome front drum brake.

Re: Scrapyard Recumbent! ANOTHER 3 wheel followed me home!

Your bike reminds me of my Trike. I bought this for twenty bucks at a church sale .. :D The bike was pimped out with gold spray bomb all over the chrome.. It rides fantastic Id like to sell it but nobody in my family will let me everybody wants to ride it. The funny part is my first ride out I found a twenty on the road.. :D Its a 7 speed with a removeable shopping basket..
DSC00897.jpg

Cool! You could always just get a welder and make your own frame / moddify existing frame and make a recumbent out of one of your trikes :idea: . I'd be glad to give you measurements off my recumbent frame. Basically two pieces of square stock and a few pieces of round tube.

Just for fun a before and after. Doesn't even look like the same bike. I'll have to hit the hardware store again tomorrow. I forgot the staples for the upholstery job.
BEFORE:
Recumbent001.jpg

AFTER:
bender11.jpg

Thanks dont get me wrong I love the way this trike rides .. I dont like the space it eats in my garage .. This was $600 new in 1999 ..I believe it may have only been made that year only ?
outskirtscustoms said:
Tanksalot that trike is sweet!

tanksalot said:
Your bike reminds me of my Trike. I bought this for twenty bucks at a church sale .. :D The bike was pimped out with gold spray bomb all over the chrome.. It rides fantastic Id like to sell it but nobody in my family will let me everybody wants to ride it. The funny part is my first ride out I found a twenty on the road.. :D Its a 7 speed with a removeable shopping basket..
DSC00897.jpg

That looks like a 1st generation ride from the Scooter Store! :lol:

Thats why I think my wife want me to hang onto it for my future ride lol ...
Chips_Mahoy said:
tanksalot said:
DSC00897.jpg

That looks like a 1st generation ride from the Scooter Store! :lol:

tanksalot said:
Thanks dont get me wrong I love the way this trike rides .. I dont like the space it eats in my garage .. This was $600 new in 1999 ..I believe it may have only been made that year only ?
outskirtscustoms said:
Tanksalot that trike is sweet!
I hear you there! I have two trikes, a lawn mower, big toolbox, workbench, and 14 other bikes all inside my 10'x10'shed. It's not bad if you stand the trikes on the back wheels. Let's just say its really cozy in there. :lol:

Also just got an old Hercules ladies 3 speed for $20. I would have passed but it had a rack, generator, a cool chain guard, intact rear fender reflector, sweet peaked fenders, and original paint with perfect patina. I'll get pics later, after all this running around I need a nap.

Hercules001.jpg

Awesome chain guard with great color
Hercules002.jpg

Rear reflector is intact
Hercules003.jpg

And head badge still has great color. She has aged well, just the right amount of patina. I'll shine it up a bit, new tires, and call it done.
Hercules004.jpg

I love fixing and flipping bikes! I hated to let it go but I needed the space and cash talks. Just sold the recumbent trike for $450!

To refresh your memory on the books...
Bike: $20
Repair welding: $20
Paint, bearing, and supplies ~$20
Material to re-cover seat ~$10
Total investment round it up $75
Sold for $450
Profit ~$375

Latest posts

Back