Red Band Bendix

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1964 Schwinn stingray red band 76 made in mexico.I would like some imformation on it.I'm resoring it and i greased the rear hub,all the guts look good,but when i tighten it so there's no wobel.it don't spin as good as the front one.What can be the problem?It spins good with the brake shoes out.Help please

There are a lot more parts on a coaster hub than a front and it weighs more so it's not going to spin as smooth as a front wheel is going to spin. main thing is to make sure there is no wobble on the axle while making sure sure the lock nuts are tightened at just the right spot. Is the sprocket dragging or "pulsing" when you spin it ? If so the lock nuts are probably too tight.

Check your bearing and races. Those Mexican hubs had poor heat treating on those parts and they fail readily. Personally, I wouldn't own a Mexican Bendix. Find a US made Bendix RB2 and you won't be disappointed. Gary

I didn't know there was a Mexican made red band- I thought the Mexican ones had multiple plain grooves in the shell. Perhaps it's just a replacement arm?

The nature of all coaster brakes is such that there will be a tiny amount of drag at all times, so they'll never spin as freely as a front. That being said, you want to find the sweet spot just where "wobble" stops, but no tighter. You may want to readjust the cones and locknuts a wee bit more?

Bendix said:
I didn't know there was a Mexican made red band- I thought the Mexican ones had multiple plain grooves in the shell. Perhaps it's just a replacement arm?

Yup, the earlier ones had the knurling and the "red stripe groove" was still painted red, dont see them too often though.

Latest posts

Back