Redline Big Bock bottom bracket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 175mm Redline Big Block crank and have come up zero on finding a bottom bracket or even parts to piece one together. Anyone have any ideas? In the mean time it does make a good tool for taking the bend out of pedal spindles :bigsmile:

The Big Blocks were proprietary and larger than a standard crank so as to be beefier and the cups, bearings, and races were larger and odd sized. I can grind a sprocket to fit it. If I can find a set of cups that would work I can set it up with loose balls.There was a Giant bottom bracket that was said to work though I haven't found any information on them.

Iirc, those were proprietary. Isn't that spindle like 1"? I know the sprockets were for sure because I've seen people open up the bore on standard sprockets to fit

If you're set on using them and EBay isn't coughing up the goods, I would find a sealed bearing and have a machine shop make you cups to fit

Iirc, those were proprietary. Isn't that spindle like 1"? I know the sprockets were for sure because I've seen people open up the bore on standard sprockets to fit

If you're set on using them and EBay isn't coughing up the goods, I would find a sealed bearing and have a machine shop make you cups to fit
I'm not set on using them, just figured if anyone has solved this puzzle it would be a ratter

You've inspired me to pick up a set for a future build! So, after I find a set I like...and decide what build to put them on... I'll make a sealed bearing bottom bracket. Since it is easy to make several sets if you're set up to make one... I'll make several.

So... I'd guess 1-3years and I'll be able to hook you up :thumbsup:.

from https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/big-boy-bmx-done.106930/
My Rat rod build off #13 entry:
The monster Redline Big Block crank was only made for a couple of years. According to BMXmuseum, "These oversized 1pc. cranks came out in the late 90's. Very short run. This was the industry's answer to crappy one piece crank and bottom brackets problems. The only other company I know that used this oversized 1pce crank as OEM was Mosh aka Giant Bicycles. The bottom brackets for these are still available. The problem is and always has been the sprocket. This was a big advancement in one piece crank design but someone dropped the ball on after market chain wheels." The bearing cups are standard, but bearings are oversize because crank casting and threads are oversize.
Where most one piece crank chainwheels are 7/8" bore the Big Block requires 1" bore!

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

These are monsters compared to the crank that came in the 88 Huffy 10 speed.

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2963.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

You've inspired me to pick up a set for a future build! So, after I find a set I like...and decide what build to put them on... I'll make a sealed bearing bottom bracket. Since it is easy to make several sets if you're set up to make one... I'll make several.

So... I'd guess 1-3years and I'll be able to hook you up :thumbsup:.
What a guy!!

Latest posts

Back