Reference Books

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any books out there that would help me ID the cruiser/balloon type bikes? This is coming from a BMX guy so this is all new to me.

The only ref. bikes books that i've picked up are The Bicycling Magazine maint. man. and the Bicycle Builder's Bonanza.
I'd like to find some kind of cruiser reference.
-TJ

My son checked out some really cool books from our local library on vintage bikes, although I can't for the life of me recall any of the titles. One of them was huge and had tons of cool old photos of bicycle assembly lines and shops from the turn of the century.

Classic Schwinn Bicycles -- William Love -- ISBN # 0-7603-1563-9

Schwinn Bicycles -- Jay Pridmore & Jim Hurd --ISBN # 0-7603-1298-2

The American Bicycle -- Jay Pridmore & Jim Hurd -- ISBN # 0-7603-1045-9

I know there's at least a couple of other books out there, but these are what I currently have in my library.

-Mp

A few more from Amazon:

Bicycles & Tricycles: A Classic Treatise on Their Design and Construction -- Archibald Sharp

Classic American Bicycles -- Jay Pridmore

How to Restore Your Collector Bicycle -- William Love

Bicycle: The History -- David V. Herlihy (this is probably the one bmxerpete is thinking of)

The Bicycle -- Larry Hills

The Bicycle -- Pryor Dodge

Bicycle in Wartime: An Illustrated History -- Jim Fitzpatrick

BMX History -- Brian D. Friske

Colonel Albert Pope and His American Dream Machines: The Life and Times of a Bicycle Tycoon Turned Automotive Pioneer -- Stephen B. Goddard

The Dancing Chain: History and Development of the Derailleur Bicycle -- Frank J. Berto

The Evolution of American Bicycle Racing -- Lou Dzierzak

Freewheeling: The story of bicycling in Canada -- William Humber

Whew!

-Mp

Back