removing a freewheel

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so im takin apart a set 20 inch wheels. theyve got a freewheel hub for the rear wheel. how the heck do you get the freewheel and the sprocket off to remove that side of spokes?!?!?!?! thanks for all the help

Easy E

Generally, you'll need a specialized tool if you want to remove the freewheel without destroying it. I think with single speed freewheels, they tend to be four pronged removers. Be sure to buy the one specifically for your make of freewheel. It seems every manufacturer tends to use their own scheme.

There are some freewheels that are not removable by any tool. I don't know why they do this, but they exist, and tend to be low end models. The only way to remove them is by destroying them in the process. You'll have to unscrew the outside ball race, which usually is reverse threaded. At that point, a million little ball bearings will fall out and scatter around the floor. The sprocket/pawls are then removed. Then you can use a large pipe wrench to unscrew the rest of the assembly from the hub. I suppose if you are really careful, you can save the freewheel. Keep in mind, ANY freewheel can be removed destructively. If you have some old 70s wheel with an unwanted obscure freewheel, the wheel can be be salvaged

well this wheel is just off a newER huffy bmx bike. it looks like a 4prong style of tool will be in need. looks like im headed to the lbs soon to get er removed. if anybody has any other suggestions of how to remove it, that would be sweet!!

Easy E

If you use a tool, they can still be cinched down pretty tight. Penetrating oil might help.

Put the tool onto the freewheel. Put the nut on the axle but don't tighten it down. Leave maybe 1/16" gap between the nut and the tool. This will keep the tool from falling off, and give enough room for the threads to let go. It may be easiest to put the tool in a vise and turn the wheel for maximum leverage, as if it were a ship's wheel.

Back