removing cotterless crank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to remove a cotterless crank w/o having a crank puller. Bigger hammer ? Im tempted to break out the grinder,don't make me do it,lol. This crank will not be used on my project as it is way to wide and bulky. I have it covered in WD40 now. Question is can they be pounded off? Thanks in advance.
I already checked on Sheldon's site, it says buy a puller. :?

I agree with Sheldon, and I would not buy anything but a Park.

I bought a puller. :wink: Looked online and found out they are relatively cheap,under 20.00. I looked in my pile o parts and discovered that I had 4 sets that I could use if I could pull them apart. Bike shop closed today but REI right next to my house was open.What a great tool !!! Had everything apart in less than a min. :)

I don't own a puller, so heres what generally works for me. After removing the 2 retaining nuts and spraying your fave lube in where the crank passes thru the arm, use a hard rubber or plastic mallet and beat on both sides of the arm (the idea is the back and forth will break the corrosion loose) I then slip a large adjustable wrench between the pedal arm and bearing cup, and use a real hammer to pop the arm off.
On truly hard cases, if youve managed to remove the offside arm, go ahead and remove the bearing cup also, then thread the nut back onto the stuck side loosely, then place a socket on the nut and give it a few sharp whacks (the idea is to punch the crank loose) then remove the nut and try the wrench.
Be warned though, I have broken the threads on a cheaply made crank with the last technique, so use it as a last resort.
Hope that helps,
Rick

Back