Removing handlegrips

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I use a method that doesn't scratch the chrome or hurt the old handlegrip. No need to soak it or anything.

Open the adjustable wrench just enough to clear the bars, but catches the edge of the grip. Tap it with a mallet or hammer and it will pop right off, no problem.

r1l7k4.jpg

havent tried that trick yet looks good to me :)
and it does look easier if one doesnt have compressed air around, ive been wedging a screwdriver under the grip and shooting windex in the gap, kind of annoying trying to pull on a slippery grip though !!!

I use that trick with a 7/8" open ended wrench. Works well on old, hard, and crusty grips.

CCR said:
havent tried that trick yet looks good to me :)
and it does look easier if one doesnt have compressed air around, ive been wedging a screwdriver under the grip and shooting windex in the gap, kind of annoying trying to pull on a slippery grip though !!!

Didnt think of windex. Ive been using water being shot out of a bicycle water bottle. Ends up being messy. :roll:

i do what CCR does except i use a spoke with the end ground off and then walk it around the grip, letting the windex work around.

huh. considering how much i like to hit things with a hammer i can't believe i never thought of doing that....great tip :)

removed some grips from an old mead ranger once by smacking the stem bolt. the grips each cracked into 3 or 4 pieces and fell to the floor. i guess that meant it was too cold to be working in the garage :(

i do that and it works, but you just gotta get in the right angle to hit it. before i came across that tip, i would use a screwdriver to pull the grip from the bars, and spray WB-40 or somethin like that to loosin it up and then twist and pull. took a while for the grips to dry once i got them off. so my grips would always slide around on the bike for 2 days. helped to find the comfy spot on those schwinn grips. :D

The method I use to remove frozen grips is to fill a can with very hot water and soak the bar end and grip for a couple of minutes. Pull it out; grab it with a towel and twist and pull.

This is a low tech method but it always works and it insures the grip won’t be damaged by impact or prying (if that is important) or impregnated with soap or solvent.

Phil

The key to removing them is compression. When you compress them, like tapping them with a wrench as in the OP, you expand the diameter of the grip. When you twist and pull, you are stretching them and making them smaller in diameter and harder to remove. I use a piece of 1" X 2" about 3' long. I hold one end (which I dished to fit over the bar) on the edge of the grip and the other on my chest and push. I've never found one I could not remove this way and never have to use screwdrivers or lubricant. B607

i use the wrench and hammer tap method as well. umless its a really rubbery type grip then i use the flat head screw driver and WD-40. stretch must use some kinda special lubricant. "WB-40" lol just teasing stretch!

Easy E

lol didnt catch that! i guess that my D's turn into B's when i type too!! :lol: no i actually use PB blaster.

Back