Removing powder coat...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been struggling with a frame that had been powdercoated and a pair of old BMX rims that were powdercoated black but were chipping. I comtemplated sandblasting the frame but they wanted like $75-$125 depending on how long it took them to get the old coating off. I decided to give some furniture stripper a try that i had left over at home first... The results were great. After about 10-15 minutes the powdercoat shrivelled up and could be scraped off with a wire brush. Some areas took multiple applications but probably just because i was impatient... I ended up using that up so i went to home depot to get more and found the extra strength one. Better results!.. In about an hour i had almost the entire frame stripped. Not bad for a $6 can of furniture stripper. Figured i would pass this along.

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=72&prodid=117

GKS3_6_R.jpg

with powder coating dont remove scuff with sandpaper and prime over it, it will be great base coat and protection for your frame .paint adheres to it fine.

longshort said:
with powder coating dont remove scuff with sandpaper and prime over it, it will be great base coat and protection for your frame .paint adheres to it fine.
x2 That's what Rick does on Rick's Restoration :wink:

longshort said:

Yeah, that's what I had heard. Would have done that but the powder coat was almost a day glow green color. I kept picturing me getting a nick or scratch in the new paint and the green showing through.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
longshort said:
x2 That's what Rick does on Rick's Restoration :wink:
yeah but they dont actually 'restore' stuff correctly (yeah call me anal but i do real auto restorations for my second job).....thats just 1/2 A**ing it

Latest posts

Back