Removing Stickers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a chrome frame and fork from an Alpine Guadalupe mountain bike. I want to remove the stickers that are on the frame. Im afraid to scrape them because it will scratch the frame. I thought about using a heat gun but Im not sure if that will make the chrome have a rainbow effect like a motorcycle pipe. Is there perhaps a chemical that will eat the stickers and not affect the chrome :?: :?: :?:

I'm with LowpowerD on this one, I was in the sign business for over 10 years & we used lighter fluid daily (Ronson brand). It works great for removing the adhesive residue off of almost any surface. It won't hurt paint, chrome, plastic, or almost anything except wood. I use it with paper towels & just throw the towel away when it gets gummed up. As a matter of fact, I just used some today for the same purpose. Try it you'll like it! 8)

Thanks for all the advice. i was able to get two of them off the other night. The bike has to come apart and I'll get the rest of them off then.

I use automotive Release Agent to remove stickers from chrome. Also Acry-Solv works very good as well. However both of these products will ruin old paints (and just strip waxes from new paints.) Both are available at autobody supply shops.

To strip both paint and decals in one easy step, use Sherman Williams Auto-Strip F, but use caution and gloves and respirator mask, as it is primarily muratic acid. Apply the Auto-Strip F with a chemical resistant 2inch paintbrush and let the chemical sit on the part for ten minutes, then scrub liberally with steel wool, and then rinse with water. This process will take any bicycle part right down to the bare metal.

Auto-Strip F comes in a one gallon container. One gallon should be enough to completely strip about 50 bicycles! Which kinda justifies the 40 dollar a bottle cost. And it beats the hecks out of a wire wheel and elbow grease.

Latest posts

Back