Renewing and old Chevy emblem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this from a co-worker. He thinks it's off a '51, but not sure.
IMG-20110922-00053.jpg

It's pretty pimpled up, but not bad. It fits the contour of my HHR (bike finder) grille almost perfectly. The HHR has a silver grille, and I thought painting it silver would look cheesy (if it was in nicer shape, I'd consider re-chroming it), so I went with gold for contrast. Also, instead of the dark blue and red of the original, I went with black and red since the car's black...
IMG-20120510-00449.jpg

Just need to clear coat it now! Does anybody know if it is indeed a 1951 grille, just for curiosity sake?

Thanks for the info outskirtscustoms! And thanks for the compliment ezernut9mm! Got it cleared last night...3 coats of Nason automotive urethane clear coat. I think it turned out pretty good considering the condition it was in! I used Rustoleum Hammered Gold for the base. That stuff is awesome for hiding imperfections! Then I gave it a scuff with 0000 steel wool for my artist acrylic paint and the clear to bite into it. Then I just carefully brushed on the acrylics and used a damp paper towel to wipe of any that got where it shouldn't be, let the whole thing rest about 24hrs and then clear coated. I'm always nervous about mixing different types of paint and clear, but I still haven't had a problem with this Nason clear...
IMG-20120511-00451.jpg

IMG-20120511-00452.jpg

I hope to mount it on the car tonight...

Latest posts

Back