Riff Ratt upgrade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to get it riding, then tear it down for grinding and painting. The disc brake wasn't working out, so the front is band brake, rear is disc. Some bolts need changed out or shortened. The dropouts need some tweaking. I checked the size of this thing, the handlebar ends are 49" high even with the stem all the way down. The length is 82" and the seat height is 35". It won't go any lower, so I can't flat foot it, but my feet touch the ground. It also needs a center stand. I have some big plastic fenders but I might not use them.
28 Mar 23 rolling.jpg

The front didn't feel solid enough so the flanges came back off. I ordered a new cluster to be sure I have a good granny gear. It's the same Shimano cluster but the large cog is 34 tooth instead of 28.
1680097108128.png

With the 32 tooth cog, I'll be pedaling faster than the wheel in first gear. That should do the trick. I calculated the GI's:
1st-28
2nd-40
3rd-44
4th-48
5th-53
6th-60
7th-69

The new cluster came in already and it looks good on there. I was going to use a cheap derailleur, but ordered a Shimano tourney derailleur instead. Disc brake is going on next.
31 Mar 23 cluster2.jpg

I have a vintage Suntour derailleur but it won't go on those BMX dropouts. So the old cluster and Suntour went on the little 24" 10 speed city bike. (Got 0 votes in the build off :21:) But it's a good riding compact lightweight bike at 25 lbs, the upgrade is a big plus from the cheap derailleur and cluster. I also stole the bear claw pedals off it for the big bike.
31 Mar 23 citybike 24.jpg

The new derailleur fit ok, and I got the disc brake hooked up. The chainwheel still wasn't lined up enough, so I changed it out to one I could adjust outward, It's got 39 teeth but I still have a good low gear if I need it.
4 Apr 23 disc brake.jpg

The chain is pieced together from leftovers, so I may just get a couple new chains to be sure.
4 Apr 23 chainline.jpg

Everything works, so I tore it down for a little more prep before the wire brush and paint. The front hub is to be delivered today so the front wheel will be ready also. I may have this finished before the Annual Build Off begins.

10 Apr 23 frame.jpg

This shows how the frame adapter for a disc brake works. The axle holds one end while the clamp holds the other, like a coaster brake arm.

10 Apr 23 adapter.jpg

Everything works, so I tore it down for a little more prep before the wire brush and paint. The front hub is to be delivered today so the front wheel will be ready also. I may have this finished before the Annual Build Off begins.

View attachment 228087

This shows how the frame adapter for a disc brake works. The axle holds one end while the clamp holds the other, like a coaster brake arm.

View attachment 228088
Very cool

I ground off some more rough edges and then started to wire brush the frame. I just got started when my drill gave out. I haven't used it that much, but any contractor that has worked on any of the house projects has needed it. Along with pliers, tape, screwdrivers and a free lunch, they need most of the tools in my shop. That's how it works in the Philippines. Otherwise I could never build up our place. So a new drill is probably going to be picked up today, as the contractors are coming by tomorrow to install a new window AC in our bedroom.

11 Apr 23 wire brush.jpg

11 Apr 23 lugs.jpg

The double spring front end is ready to go. I trimmed all the parts and installed the disc brake, just needs a cable.

19 Apr 23 Front end.jpg

I cleaned up the frame as much as possible, but the welds look rough, so it won't get sent out for powder coating. :21:
I can't spray paint here except for clear coat, so it has a few coats of orange/red with a brush followed by a couple coats of spray clear in the garage. Later I may do more but this doesn't have to be perfect.
We haven't had any wind lately, just heat, so the fan is needed to clear the fumes out before the wife gets home.

20 Apr 23 paint.jpg

All set for a test ride tomorrow. Our house helper guy comes by tomorrow, so he'll help get this thing up the stairs.
The chain is a little too short, it won't get low gear, but where it's at is pretty low for a test ride. tried all my old kickstands and nothing worked. The angle of the frame points the kickstand forward, so I'll have to make up something. The gears won't allow a rear stand to work either. I took some measurements while getting it ready. It's 76 inches long, handlebars are 46" high, seat is 35". It weighs 23.1 kilos, 51 lbs. I thought it would be more.
But it should be fun going for a ride tomorrow morning.

22 Apr 23 stairs.jpg

22 Apr 23 ready.jpg

It's 0900 and already too hot to stay out for more than a few minutes. I was soaked with just a short ride.

It did great, the disc brakes were good as was the geometry, I was able to turn around in a small space easily. The comfort level is a 10. The gearing is good, even without the lowest gear I was able to climb the slight incline back to the house. Sealed bearings are great, it rolls well. By the time my wife came out to take a couple vids, a splice in the chain gave out so that ended the test then. I just coasted for the vid. Overall was a good ride, no issues other than the broken chain. It needed to be longer anyway, so a new chain will go on. The alignment of the chain is only good in the lower gears as the crank spindle is standard, not the wide fat bike kind. I'll be using only low gears anyway.
The name needs to change as it's miles away from what Riff Ratt was. I'll call it Orange Crusher and it's done!
23 Apr 23 finish - Copy.jpg

23 Apr 23 chain break.jpg

It needed 130 links, and the usual chain is 116, so 2 chains were bought and are working perfectly, no noise and easy shifts. Also got a kickstand to work. It needed to be mounted ahead of the rear axle. Now it's good to go anytime. Probably a ride every morning.

25 Apr 23 kickstand.jpg

25 Apr 23 ride.jpg

Latest posts

Back