rim painting question...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well I'm thinking of painting a set of aluminum rims for my next project and I have a question. Is it easier to paint the rim before or after building the wheel?
I like the idea of using straws to mask the spokes, but I've never done it before and appreciate any feedback

if they are already in pieces, I would paint them first, it turns out cleaner. I don't think I would pull em apart just to paint them tho... (even tho I have before.. :roll: )

use an old frame to hold the wheel while painting the rim. you can spin it while painting! :D

paint2.jpg

If the wheel will already be apart I'd say paint it, that way you don't have to hit it from all kind of crazy angles to get the paint around the spoke nipples, then you could let it cure and put painters tape over it to lace the wheel so the dangling spokes won't scratch it up.

If you do not have to have the wheel apart, do the straws. If you need more advice on that I can give it, or you can look at my build off thread for The 76er.

Latest posts

Back