Rims...a question about the pros & cons...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching high & low for 26" rims that are around 40mm wide. It's not easy finding anything in the EU at the moment.
The extra wide (57mm+) ones look a bit too chunky for my liking but I still want a fairly fat tire (around 2.5 - 3.0")

I did see these though...

1.jpg

RYDE Aluminium Rim "V 38"
24,7-559 (26" x 1,75), 36 holes
Westwood profile, DV
Spoke hole Ø 5,5mm - for spoke nipple M3

...and I'm wondering if they'll hold a standard Schwarbe MTB tire. They appear to have a completely different shape to all the others I've been looking at.
I understand they look to single wall instead of double wall (?) which would make them less robust, right?

What's the deal? Is it just retro appeal or does the minimalism hold any other benefits?

These are to go on a 3g Newport cruiser that covers 10km a day, often on flat, minor trails (nothing crazy & rocky).

They will work fine with disk brakes. The rim has no idea if it's a disc or drum, it only knows there aren't brake pads pressing in it.

As in, the sides of the rim aren't intended to have brake pads rubbing on them. Otherwise, it's all good.

OK, that's good to know.

Do you reckon it'd make more sense to put a 2.3" tire on this, or would a slightly narrower double wall rim (32mm) still be OK?
I get the idea of tire roll being an issue on narrower rims but am also thinking about durability in the longterm.

Good information on rim and tire widths right here.
https://crankjoy.com/wider-not-always-better-alexs-rim-tire-choices/
Here's a quote:
"We can classify the rims in 4 internal width categories. Under 23mm, 24-30mm, 30-40mm and 40+, which actually will be only reserved to Fat bikes going over 4.0 tires. Any tire up to 2.25 can be use until 23mm. Most tire between 2.3-2.5 in the second category, and 2.5-3.0 in that third range of width."
By that reckoning, your 2.3 tire would fit on the 32mm rim, a bit on the small side

Good information on rim and tire widths right here.
https://crankjoy.com/wider-not-always-better-alexs-rim-tire-choices/
Here's a quote:
"We can classify the rims in 4 internal width categories. Under 23mm, 24-30mm, 30-40mm and 40+, which actually will be only reserved to Fat bikes going over 4.0 tires. Any tire up to 2.25 can be use until 23mm. Most tire between 2.3-2.5 in the second category, and 2.5-3.0 in that third range of width."
By that reckoning, your 2.3 tire would fit on the 32mm rim, a bit on the small side

Thanks for this! Really useful information.

The 32mm measurement of the double wall rims is outer, not inner. I can't actually find the inner width but I think it's too narrow regardless.

I've found another build on here using the wider, single wall rims with 26x2.4 tires & I reckon I'm gonna do the same.
They may be a little weaker but I think, proportionally, they'll be better for my tires & tubes in the long run.

A pair of rims have come up that are perfect. The place I've ordered most of my parts from can get hold of them for me & I even have a voucher to use which will make them really cheap. Result!!...

Outer width : 46mm
Inner width : 39mm
36 holes
Double wall
945g
Matt black

Hi Mark!

I had this rim with Schwalbe Space 26x2.35 tires. I used it on a Klunker Mountainbike. No issues with the strength. But I don't do huge jumps, just ride stumps and singletracks.
This wheel was assembled and laced with 13g Sapim stainless steel spokes and a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub.
I bought the rim at 'vlechtservice' in Utrecht the Netherlands. Due to the colour they were only 15 euros.

Double wall rims are stiffer and in general tougher (depending on wall thickness and other variables). I personally would love these rims made of steel, in that case they are also 'fatique' resistant. But I do believe these rims are good. I like the retro looks a lot.

The double wall rims are extruded which needs a certain aluminum type. The V38 rims could be a different alloy due to its simple shape which does not have the 'extrusion' drawbacks, but that is just a thought.

Narrower rims is possible too. I have 3 inch tires on a 22mm wide rim. Let me know if you need a picture. These walls are a bit soft in corners, but not a big drawback for me.

Picture of the Rigida Ryde V38 with 26x2.35 tire:
56sNzeJ.jpeg
QlwxLaV.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mark!

I had this rim with Schwalbe Space 26x2.35 tires....

They look great!! That's a very nice bike you've got there.

I'm curious...what's the diameter of the discs on the hub that hold the spokes (I don't know the technical name) & what are the length of the back spokes?

I've paid for the other rims now but I may still consider the retro versions, if these 46mm ones don't work right.

Thanks!

You mean the spoke flanges?
To be honest I don't know, I sold the wheelset since I absolutely love riding singlespeed.

I you want to know spoke length you can check a "spoke calculator".

My gues is that the flanges were about 10 centimetres or 4 inches.

Let me know if you need anything else! Have fun!

Thanks!

You mean the spoke flanges?
To be honest I don't know, I sold the wheelset since I absolutely love riding singlespeed.

I you want to know spoke length you can check a "spoke calculator".

My gues is that the flanges were about 10 centimetres or 4 inches.

Let me know if you need anything else! Have fun!

No worries. Yeah, there's a link to a spoke calculator in one of my threads. Once I have all parts in hand I'll work it out.

Cheers.

I've got a couple of rims like that, i can sell them to you if you want.
First are the famous Alexrims DX32, double wall, they would hold anything, almost undestroyable. The second ones are of a less famous manufacturer, also double wall, they are also pretty good, tested them on some bikes sufficiently. Both are aluminium and are about 40mm wide.
IMG_6382.JPG

IMG_6383.JPG

Latest posts

Back