Ritchey MountainBike value

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, I'd like to find an original Ritchey MountainBike someday, '80s vintage. I was just wondering about relative values and what they might be worth? I know the very early ones will be very pricey but I don't know about the later ones. I'm thinking something like this:
1666891551518.png

Any ideas? Thanks!

I would guess somewhere around priceless. Those are some of the first bikes made specifically for "mountain biking". The term was taken from that brand, started by Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly. In my opinion, anything welded by Tom is going to be art, he is a master

Such a cool history. I was just a kid when all that was going down.
My friend, a true Clydesdale..close to 6 feet tall in 5th grade.. couldnt comfortably ride a bmx so his parents bought him a Giant mountain bike, I’ll never forget that first time he pulled up… we were all amazed and took turns trying it out..weird how some things stick in your mind.
Best of luck pondo, hope you find your unicorn.

Hey guys, I'd like to find an original Ritchey MountainBike someday, '80s vintage. I was just wondering about relative values and what they might be worth? I know the very early ones will be very pricey but I don't know about the later ones. I'm thinking something like this:
View attachment 214837

Any ideas? Thanks!
I think you could expect to 5 or $600 for a fillet brazed bare frame like that. Tom had frames made by Toyo in Tokyo to fill the demand for his product in Canada. These were made according to Ritchey's design, but because they were made offshore, many do not consider these to be true Ritcheys. These frames can be had for 2-$300. I have one of the latter and for me its a keeper.
IMG_2127.JPG

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. The history of these bikes is really cool for sure. I’ve done a lot of research on them but haven’t seen any good value guidance. There’s one available local-ish for $1900. Not sure I want to spend that much especially not knowing what they are actually worth. Thought I’d throw it out there but I think the value is relative. Along the lines of whatever someone is willing to pay.

Looks like they were only together for a few years, so I doubt there's much difference from early to late ... Check the history from 80-84
http://ritchey.vintagebicycledataba...icycle,into mountain bike frame construction.4-500 frames per year, he was still making other bikes, only a few years, probably made less than 1000, but I am speculating. And I'm sure more than one were broken or worn out
That database is a really good resource for early mountain bike info. I’ve done a fair amount of reading on there. Definitely recommend. 👍

There’s one available local-ish for $1900
That actually doesn't sound too outlandish. When compared to Breezer1, it's a bargain! What would a Stumpjumper of the era fetch? Tom's hand welded originals have got to have more worth than the overseas copies

What would a Stumpjumper of the era fetch?
Not sure. A first run 81/82 would probably have good collector value but they were so massed produced, I think it was something like 50,000 in 83? That's a pretty common bike so value should be pretty affordable I would think. Especially if it doesn't have all the original parts.
Tom's hand welded originals have got to have more worth than the overseas copies
100%, at least to me anyways. I wouldn't mind having either one in my garage but an original would be sweet. Being on a working class budget the serious collectors bikes are probably well out of reach.
Ironically enough, from the Budget Bike center, an $18000 Stumpjumper :rofl:
Now that's comedy!! They might find someone that wants to throw that kind of money at it but I think they need to drop a 0 and cross their fingers. Beautiful bike though.

Another 80s mtn bike I'd like to find at a garage sale someday is an early (85 first year?) GT Timberline with a chrome frame.
1666962795762.png

Being on a working class budget the serious collectors bikes are probably well out of reach.
I definitely feel you there. So many things are out of reach of my budget as well. It's why I became familiar with the less famous welders from the mid school era, I have a better chance of finding something welded by Brodie or Teesdale or Dekerf. Sublime quality without the historical cachet. Rocky Mountain used to have a sticker which the welder would sign after the bike was painted. The signature would disappear if it got wet
IMG_2548_small.jpg

I want a CM (Colin M) sticker, his welds were some of the best to come out of the Rocky shop

I definitely feel you there. So many things are out of reach of my budget as well. It's why I became familiar with the less famous welders from the mid school era, I have a better chance of finding something welded by Brodie or Teesdale or Dekerf. Sublime quality without the historical cachet. Rocky Mountain used to have a sticker which the welder would sign after the bike was painted. The signature would disappear if it got wetView attachment 214951
I want a CM (Colin M) sticker, his welds were some of the best to come out of the Rocky shop
That's a very cool bit of mtn bike history that I didn't know, thanks for sharing it! I do like the early Rocky Mountain bikes. Sounds like I need to learn more about them so I can know what I'm looking at if I find one at a swap meet or something. The more budget friendly bikes do appeal to me. The Stumpjumper copy analogy is a good one. An early Univega Alpina would be cool too. But real early, like '82. They were super mass produced and not as high quality as the Stumpjumpers from what I've read. I know next to nothing about collectible downhill bikes though I have wanted a Kona Stinky for some time now. Paul Brodie built an awesome downhill bike many years ago which he recently bought back and restored. I think there's a video about it on his Youtube channel. I like watching is frame building videos, he's amazing. He builds amazing motorcycles too.

I hope you find a Ritchey mtb in your price range. I have a Ritchey Road Logic, 2014 model. I follow him on IG. Interesting guy.

I see recently they've been having group rides to celebrate his anniversary of building frames.

Latest posts

Back