Road master? Hawthorn?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Just picked this up. Hoping ya'll can help me Id her. Badge says road master. But, I believe the fork is off a hawthorn? Morrow rear hub, new departure front. Picked it up for parts, but this is only my second skip tooth. Not as familiar with bikes of this era as I'd like to be. Any help is appreciated!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    388.9 KB
That is a Roadmaster, made by Cleveland Welding Company, with a Cleveland Welding Company Shockmaster springer fork.
Hawthorne wasn't a manufacturer, but was a brand that Montgomery wards used for their bikes, may have been a CWC or other make of bike, like Snyder (Rollfast).

That is a Roadmaster, made by Cleveland Welding Company, with a Cleveland Welding Company Shockmaster springer fork.
Hawthorne wasn't a manufacturer, but was a brand that Montgomery wards used for their bikes, may have been a CWC or other make of bike, like Snyder (Rollfast).

Thank you for the info. I know that Hawthorne wasn't a manufacturer, but I thought I had seen this fork on a Hawthorne branded bike before. The fork was the main reason I bought the bike. Appreciate the insight!!

My first brand new bike was a 24" Hawthorne, made by AMF, back in 1967. It was a lightweight and made cheaply, so it didn't last long. I went back to my Evans bombproof bike.

That's a prewar frame, note the drop stand ears on the rear dropouts. The chain ring is also cwc, but I believe a postwar part. Most prewar RM's have the paisley/ tear drop chain ring. -Adam

yeap, either Snyder or prewar CWC. After the war, CWC was doing Curved Chainstays, telling them easily apart from others into their selling out to AMF in '53.

Latest posts

Back