Roadmaster AMF Lite? Anybody?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey body ever seen this bike before? Its a Roadmaster AMF Lite 26". I thought it looked pretty cool but I had never seen one before and I get nothing when I try to search for it.
959440e2.jpg

3641aacd.jpg

e62c12e7.jpg

lean the seatpost back, put a cool shifter in that "console looking panel thing", and fix those bars so you dont drag your nuckles after you get off it, yeah, thats one cool horse there. cant believe i havent seen more of them. 8)

aka_locojoe said:
Cool looking bike. Yes that rack is neat as is the panel down the top tubes.
Would be cool with the seat tube chopped down and the seat slammed if you were a little person.

Thats just what I was thinking about doing, Im only 5'6 for It would help me alot if I chopped the seat post down. I also think it would look killer in flat black with all that chrome.

I have always thought of these bikes as Am Flites rather than AMF Lites but I don't know which is the official pronunciation. Either way they came in several variations with various wheel sizes including some with smaller front wheels and Polo seats set up as Sting Ray competition. I believe they came out in 1964 and lasted until 65 or 66. Although many of the versions were produced in solid numbers, they are all fairly rare today and obviously stand out when they do turn up.

While they are uncommon to rare I think they have not caught on yet and their heyday in collector’s eyes and pocketbooks is yet to come.

If you wouldn’t mind posting or PMing me the serial number (should be stamped in the rear dropout on non chain side of the bike) I could add it to my CWC/AMF data, I am decoding the serial numbers for 60’s CWC/AMF bikes but I need a lot more data to sort out the sequences.

Thanks

Phil

That thing is pretty darn cool. I picture that bad boy with a skinny 26" up front and a Jerald 24" slick out back... but that's just a personal preference. :)

I like it. I don't like ape hangers , but everything else about it is cool. Please think about it before you do any cutting or modifing that can't be "undone". Like chopping a hole in that "console looking panel thing". I find bikes all the time with modifications that are very very difficult to fix.I have to repent of the thoughts i have about previous owners.

That is a sweet bike and has lots of potential. I like the shifter idea but I am with "Thom" on the fact that once you destroy an original part it's gone forever. I'd try to make another panel out of some brushed aluminum then make the shifter in it. Then put the original one up for safe keeping.

thom said:
I like it. I don't like ape hangers , but everything else about it is cool. Please think about it before you do any cutting or modifing that can't be "undone". Like chopping a hole in that "console looking panel thing". I find bikes all the time with modifications that are very very difficult to fix.I have to repent of the thoughts i have about previous owners.

Don't worry I won't be putting any holes in the panel. Only thing I would like to do is shorten the seat pole a little. I don't think that would be to big of an issue if I ever sold it since you can just bring the seat up higher. I'm short and even with the seat slammed its still difficult to get on it.

The gold bike is not the same, it is a European mixte frame that has had the upper seat stays and much of the seat tube removed.

As a collectible, the Amflite may yet have its day but it is unlikely that it will ever become a top dollar bicycle like an Aerocycle. It has both “unusual” in the looks department and uncommon in the availability corner going for it but it’s ultimately more Geekin’ than Freakin’.

In the long run, cutting the seat tube will affect the value of the bike in the eyes of collectors who are after factory original bikes but it might also add to the value in the eyes of someone looking for a short, interesting custom.

Unless the bike were to become extremely valuable to the first crowd, any irreversible modifications you make to the bike are not likely to affect it’s dollar value in the market as much as they affect who will be interested in buying it.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but here is am amflite I got a while back

From it I created this abomination

Was looking at your Photobucket, this one is awesome!
amf.jpg

I have to try and find one of those frames!

Latest posts

Back