Roadmaster w/new seat pics 8/20

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
AMF Roadmaster. Bought at Bicycle Heaven's swap meet a few weeks ago. Didnt have a chainguard. Its original black paint, all I did was brush-touched the big spots. I DID paint the tank and a new chainguard I got from someone on here. Correct wheels and tires from dogdart. Had to buy a chain, it didnt come with it. I paid 40 for the bike. I think it looks good. The fenders dont fit with the balloon tires, so I ordered a set of 26 X 1.90 RED tires from Michaels Cycles. Hoping that the fenders will fit then. I had to spraybomb the handlebars, but all the other chrome cleaned up well in the oxalic acid tank.
DSCI0513.jpg

DSCI0514.jpg

Oh, the seat isnt original. The original is being upholstered by dogdart. He is the do-it-all bicycle guy!

Re: Roadmaster

I liked it when you bought it and I like it even more now! Did you figure out what year it was from the numbers on the bottom bracket?

Looks great. An AMF straightbar with the forward facing dropouts, you don't see a lot of them. "

That is probably an Arkansas built bike, and one of the first built there, being a straightbar. The serial number will be on the left dropout maybe, but no one has figured out the sequence of those, yet.

Yep, made by AMF, having moved to Arkansas from Cleveland in 1956. The unions had something to do with it. Those Arkansas made Roadmasters were also badged as Western Flyers just like the Cleveland welding bikes were. There might be another store that put their name on them too. After Schwinn's patent on the cantilever frame ran out, then the AMF's were cantilever. There are quite a few of them on this website. Skyriders, Silver Flyers, and Skylarks are just a few models of AMF's from Arkansas. Those are the bikes with the star sprockets, yours probably came with the earlier spiral sprocket. So, I would think yours may be a 57, if all their bikes went to cantilever in 58.

Good info,Wild....thanks. All I know is that I'm gonna ride the heck out of it. Tomorrow I am gonna go watch the regatta down in Pittsburgh.
I have a appointment to trade my bassboat for a custom painted bike at 9am. Hoping he shows up....Barter via Craigslist...

Wildcat said:
Yep, made by AMF, having moved to Arkansas from Cleveland in 1956. The unions had something to do with it. Those Arkansas made Roadmasters were also badged as Western Flyers just like the Cleveland welding bikes were. There might be another store that put their name on them too. After Schwinn's patent on the cantilever frame ran out, then the AMF's were cantilever. There are quite a few of them on this website. Skyriders, Silver Flyers, and Skylarks are just a few models of AMF's from Arkansas. Those are the bikes with the star sprockets, yours probably came with the earlier spiral sprocket. So, I would think yours may be a 57, if all their bikes went to cantilever in 58.

I agree, must be a late 57. Sweet bike, love the red tires

I took off the balloon tires, and put on the 26 x 1.95's I got. Oxalic acid'ed the fenders,and clear enamel'd them.. Put on the rack from that Higgins I got. Looks pretty good. Tires JUST fit in the fenders. Its done, waiting for dogdart to recover, and get the original seat done. Think I'll ride it tomorrow...
DSCI0538.jpg

DSCI0540.jpg

DSCI0539.jpg

Remember this?
DSCI0485.jpg

Now all you need is a red and black 57 Chevy to go with it!,Nice job!,bring this one to the Beaver cruise

Latest posts

Back