Rocinante my Krusty Klunker!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oops, my bad. I'll get into that one too. :blush:

Just took a quick look at @OddJob 's Silver King Unchained thread and I'm really looking forward to reading thru it. I've watched a number of OddJob's videos on youtube, some really good stuff there. 👍
Thanks man! Good to have you aboard the BO 17 express~!

I was able to do a few more mock ups today to get a better look at things. I first tried a 20" BMX wheel on the front, then the matching 24" from the donor bike, then a 26" mountain bike wheel. Size wise, I think I like the 26" the best.
IMG_1133.JPG
IMG_1134.JPG
IMG_1135.JPG

I think I like the scrambler bars and slingshot stem with the older sprung saddle and the BMX bars with the Brooks. I'd welcome some opinions on style here. I could go kind of a boulevard cruiser with the 27" front wheel and road tires; BMX with the 26" wheel BMX bars and Brooks saddle; klunker with the scrambler bars and sprung saddle. I could even get a little more vintage klunker with some mountain bike rigid forks and truss rods. I'm kind of digging the Amp forks now.

If I can cold set this frame without damaging it I'd like to keep the 7 speed cluster on the back and add a derailleur.

Also, does anyone know which badge might go on this old Monarch frame?
IMG_1149.JPG

Last edited:
For me, it's the Amp shock with the BMX bars n stem. And it's gotta be either the 24 or 26, the 27 is too skinny with this combo.
If you choose the slingshot stem (also AWESOMENESS!) and pull back bars, the 27 works. It's got more of a "muscle" vibe in that config.

Thanks for the input Matti. I'm kind of feeling the BMX vibe on this one too. If I had a banana seat I think the muscle bike could work but BMX or Klunker would be something I can ride around here. Though I'll take just about any bike off road. We'll see how this turns out.

Though I'll take just about any bike off road
I'm trying to change that in myself. Duck Norris has had some abuse. I switched to high bars, but you can still see the mud splattered paint
IMG_20220709_110844804.jpg

After this pic I switched him to slicks. Now he only heads down dry(ish) trails. I actually rode past one this weekend, thought, "Maybe I'll come back with the Nameless Hardrock later"

I'm trying to change that in myself. Duck Norris has had some abuse. I switched to high bars, but you can still see the mud splattered paint View attachment 204705
After this pic I switched him to slicks. Now he only heads down dry(ish) trails. I actually rode past one this weekend, thought, "Maybe I'll come back with the Nameless Hardrock later"
Duck Norris is awesome! I've seen that bike on other threads I think. That's exactly the type of klunky-ness I love. With those high bars and early style knobs and coaster it looks like you could have some real corner sliding fun. And I dig the green and the wooden tank. What bars are those? I'm going to need to get a set for one of my klunker builds.

Ack. I've been torn between a coaster brake and a 7 speed with derailleur. Now I'm leaning towards coaster. That means pushing up the hills, and there's nothing but hills around here. The 7 speed would allow me to pedal up the hills but adds complexity and less visual simplicity. Decisions, decisions.

I like how this build is evolving. Those AMP forks are so cool.

Thanks Kingfish! I'll be back on the build tomorrow. I just finished out my work week and am vegging out getting inspiration from other people's super cool builds.

That is why these build offs are so fun. It's why I feel we build better bikes together than we ever would alone.

That is why these build offs are so fun. It's why I feel we build better bikes together than we ever would alone.
I have to agree. There are tons of great builds going on in both classes right now. And if I hadn't gotten inspired by the build off I wouldn't be building this bike right now. But it's tons of fun! Kudos to whoever came up with the idea for the build off in the first place. I think I'll try to do a build for both classes next year.

Latest posts

Back