Rocinante my Krusty Klunker!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super cool! I just looked at the first pic and I'm in. I'll give it a thorough read eventually. I'm still trying to catch up with this year's build off bikes. Pretty much impossible in the next 3 weeks. But it looks like fun!

Good luck with your bike too. It looks like you'll definitely finish in time with a cool ride!
Thanks! Yeah, I have a lot of other build threads to catch up on myself. Hopefully I can get my bike done fast enough that I'll have enough time to look at everyone else's threads before voting begins!

Thank you Pondo! I'm going to do my best!

I got busy spreading the rear of the frame this morning. This is a technique I got from Sheldon Brown's website. It works well and is pretty easy to do. Super simple, spent maybe 20 minutes on it. Apparently I had disco brain this morning with ABBA and the BeeGees going in the background. It's not OddJob's jazz but it'll do.
View attachment 205126

I over cooked it on one side so I reversed action and brought it back to 135mm.
View attachment 205127

It did kink the tubing slightly on the drive side so I'll weld in a gusset and braze in the denting on the tube someday when I strip it down to bare metal.
View attachment 205128

This frame has been repaired before. Several of the braze joints don't look factory, but who knows. It's not the straightest frame around but it'll do for a BMX flavored klunker. And the wheel fits so I get to have gears for the hills!
View attachment 205129View attachment 205130

That sheldon brown 2x4 is the best frame jig ever. Used that method a few times.

Also, does anyone know which badge might go on this old Monarch frame?View attachment 204563
It's not a Monark...it's a Snyder built Hawthorne, like this...

MVC-232S.JPG

...this is a 26 Snyder built Rollfast, but it shows that the BB junctions and kickstand mount match yours...
20220402_141235.jpg

It's not a Monark...it's a Snyder built Hawthorne, like this...

View attachment 206242
...this is a 26 Snyder built Rollfast, but it shows that the BB junctions and kickstand mount match yours...
View attachment 206243
Thanks for the reply and the info! That definitely looks like it, no question. The pattern on my bike's head tube matches that Hawthorne badge as well so I'll start looking for one of those.

I'm really liking this bike. Hopefully I'll finish it off this morning and go for a ride. I just need to replace the front wheel and get the brake working better. If I keep this bike long term I'm thinking about cutting off the rear triangle and brazing on a section for a 26" wheel. But it's pretty fun like it is so I might just leave it a 46er too. What would you guys do?

Thanks for the reply and the info! That definitely looks like it, no question. The pattern on my bike's head tube matches that Hawthorne badge as well so I'll start looking for one of those.

I'm really liking this bike. Hopefully I'll finish it off this morning and go for a ride. I just need to replace the front wheel and get the brake working better. If I keep this bike long term I'm thinking about cutting off the rear triangle and brazing on a section for a 26" wheel. But it's pretty fun like it is so I might just leave it a 46er too. What would you guys do?
I don't know what I'd do with the bike. Which is why I'd just ride it as-is and work on something else until inspiration strikes. Looking forward to seeing you cross the finish line Pondo! You've got this!

I don't know what I'd do with the bike. Which is why I'd just ride it as-is and work on something else until inspiration strikes. Looking forward to seeing you cross the finish line Pondo! You've got this!
Thanks BFTD! This was just a quick project but it's been really fun. Thanks for inspiring me to get involved this year. Your build is much more involved but is almost done and looking sweet!

Thanks BFTD! This was just a quick project but it's been really fun. Thanks for inspiring me to get involved this year. Your build is much more involved but is almost done and looking sweet!
You're welcome dude! Glad I was able to give you the motivation to build one of your own bikes for the competition. There's so many builders here who have inspired me on my own projects; it's nice to know I inspired someone else too! I'm doing my best to get mine done on time. If all goes well, this will be the first time I finish a bike the way I intended to, on time! Hopefully we'll both cross that finish line together!

Wheel swapped, brake working better. This fork really needs a brake stiffener to help out. Even with Kool Stop pads the action is marginal, but functional. Or maybe I just haven't been riding cantilever braked bikes enough recently. Got in a 40 minute ride this afternoon. Maybe not the brightest idea when it's 95 degrees. The bike rides fairly well, especially considering the frame isn't overly straight. It's best on paved roads, decent on fire roads and not too terrible on singletrack. Fun no matter what surface. The extra gears come in handy around here.
IMG_1203.JPG
IMG_1205.JPG
IMG_1207.JPG
IMG_1209.JPG
IMG_1210.JPG
I haven't jumped it yet and I'm not sure I will. I'll definitely put on a helmet for any kind of spirited riding. Overall I'm pretty happy with the result. I think it's finished for now, though I may add a kick stand for taking pics. Needing to lean it on something limited photo ops today for sure. Now back to the tandem....

Love that tree climbing pose!

This beast will climb anything! :grin: Seriously though, I was surprised it stayed put long enough to take the pics.

It must have spidey senses

Stiffeners were really common when I raced MTB's in the early 80's. Both front and rear stiffeners were very common. Check to make sure you aren't using your old V-brake levers. Cantilever brakes use short travel levers. For spirited riding on old American made equipment I recommend chromemoly cranks and chromemoly seat post. Your seatpost isn't up too far so maybe you won't bend it. I approve of BMX stem and handlebars. I raced a klunker made from a Schwinn Varsity and found out the hard way about bending non chromemoly cranks and seatposts.

Last edited:
Stiffeners were really common when I raced MTB's in the early 80's. Both front and rear stiffeners were very common. Check to make sure you aren't using your old V-brake levers. Cantilever brakes use short travel levers. For spirited riding on old American made equipment I recommend chromemoly cranks and chromemoly seat post. Your seatpost isn't up too far so maybe you won't bend it. I approve of BMX stem and handlebars. I raced a klunker made from a Schwinn Varsity and found out the hard way about bending non chromemoly cranks and seatposts.
Nice catch! I think you nailed it there. The brake lever is from the purple donor bike which has v-brakes so definitely a mis-match. Eventually I'll match that cantilever brake up with a proper cantilever brake lever. Or maybe I'll try some mini v-brakes, I hear they can be quite effective. Thanks for the tip and your attention to detail!

I got my build off bike finished so I decided to go do some riding today. First thing was to strip off the fender and reflectors from the Cannondale Prophet I recently picked up (for less than what I usually see just the forks advertised for) and replace the tires with some good off road tires.
IMG_1199.JPG
IMG_1220.JPG

Then I headed out of town to do a little mountain biking and scout picture locations for the build off bike.
IMG_1221.JPG
IMG_1222.JPG
IMG_1223.JPG

This bike rocks!

Latest posts

Back