Roller derby, anyone?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to watch it with my Mom back in the very early 70's !
Great stuff !! My faves where the Baycity Bombers !
Id love to get into it agian.....Like the bikes we prefer, its
some REAL Americana !!
:lol:

Yeah the 70's and before was some awesome derby action! Much like wrestling, there were small independent Roller Derby leagues. Detroit had one that aired late at night on one of it's local channels. My cousin had a neighbor who was a roller queen on the show. She was a big ol' girl who looked like she rip you apart just for fun, but in reality she was one of the nicest women in the town!
I'm just curious if SuperFly is doing this on a big league level or if it's a "backalley" type of league. Either way I'm interested and would love to see and hear more about it! Does Roller derby even mean the same thing as it did back in the day or is this something completely different?

There was some cable channel that I cant remember
that did a series on the resurgance of small town
Roller Derby that profiled the teams and personalities.
It appears the Nu-Derbyers are staying pretty true to
the originals. I remember that the men were the panty-
waists and the women were ruff as brawling bikers !! YIKES !
A&E I think(?) was the channel....Im gonna search and
check it out cuz I think there is one in FLA. that Ill
want to see, fer sure !! I never could figure out the blockers
and jammer stuff but it didnt matter because it was so
cool to just to check out the wild action !! In the 70's the
benches would clear while the skaters were scrapping !!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Raw, wild & krazy mayhem everywhere !!!

Great stuff !!!
As a little kid, who was always taught to avoid conflict, I
thought this was a highly entertaining outlet to vicariously
live out my pent-up adolecent aggressions.....
:lol: :lol:

heh, before katrina i was a ref for the big easy rollergirls. oh man, tons of fun being one of 4 guys out of 60 or so tattooed hotties. ahhh good times.

At this point, its a girls sport.
Flat track derby is similar to what you saw back in the olde days, but without banked turns and its a little cleaner. No wrestling crap.
Its a legit sport, and is growing quickly. Players need to have insurance and leagues have bylaws. Almost all major cities have leagues and interleague play is where you see the blood and guts. There is a Dust Devils Tournament in (i think) AZ every year and theres ROLLERCON in Vegas coming up soon. What out though boys, theyre tough.

My league: http://www.pioneervalleyrollerderby.com

We started the first flat track men's team, which simultaneously pissed off and excited people all over. We played the Baltimore leagues guys refs last year. Many leagues hate us bc they think guys will ruin the sport. We just wanna have fun. I played for about a year, but ive reserved myself to a coaching position as of late. My boys played alongside our girls against NJ/NY last month in the first true guys and girls match, rotating periods like in the old days.

Questions?

Rollergirls

A&E did a series called Rollergirls:

http://www.aetv.com/rollergirls/index.jsp

VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

http://www.aetv.com/rollergirls/rg_featured_clips.jsp

It was about a Texas league...'Lonestar Rollergirls', the Austin league.
Me and a buddy really got into the show and were going to fly down to watch the derby (then we sobered up).

My fav' is the Holy Rollers and Punky Bruser:

rg_meetDetail_punkyImage.jpg

"I don't have a problem with authority. I just have a problem with people telling me what to do."

GO PUNKY I WANNA MARRY YYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUU!!!

Yeah thats banked track... most flattrack leagues play by different rules. I think its the PennJersey flattrack league that plays with elbows ::shudder::

Back