Rollfast Coaster Hub Issue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an old Rollfast cruiser the other day and posted to Fresh Finds if you need to see the bike.

Bike has sat for years but i have it going but has a very aggrevating problem. From a start if you start to pedal the crank just freewheels unless you stomp forward on the pedal thus causing the chain and rear sprocket to jerk quickly "locking up" the rear hub making the bike move. also have to do this while riding if you stop pedalling. The brakes work fine. Looks like it may say Perry England on the brake arm.

Does it need to be cleaned and regreased or are there some type of "dogs" that arent engaging or worn out?

The Bike....

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=74261

Perrys have a very unique design to accomplish what coaster hubs do- go and stop. I have not been impressed by the few I have owned, they seem to be very finicky when it comes to adjusting them correctly. Here is a rebuild thread I made that will help get you on the road. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33275

udallcustombikes said:
Perrys have a very unique design to accomplish what coaster hubs do- go and stop. I have not been impressed by the few I have owned, they seem to be very finicky when it comes to adjusting them correctly. Here is a rebuild thread I made that will help get you on the road. http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33275

Thanks for that i will tear it down and see whats going on.

As I was reading through the original post, I was thinking it sounded like a Perry hub you had.. and then you drop the name. I have one on a Columbia that has been fully regreased and adjusted and it does this exact thing. I think it's just the over-engineered English stuff. With fresh grease, I don't have to stomp mine but it does sometimes take nearly a turn before it locks in.

The thing about a Perry is that there's not a drive screw that re-engages you after braking. With a drive screw, you're guaranteed that it will engage in that quarter turn that it takes to thread in. Perry works by...well I don't know how it returns but it does.. just after a little longer sometimes. Still worth regreasing as it should improve when everything can move more freely.

Latest posts

Back