ROUNDING THE BEND

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here we go again! After two failed Build-Off finishes with my '41 Elgin Twin 20, I am bound and determined to complete it (to my satisfaction) this time. So, I felt that it would only be proper (and fair) to re-assemble the Twin 20 back to its original "as found" condition. Kind of a re-set, so to speak. So, I spent most of the first Build-Off day re-assembling all of the original parts back onto the bike. Of course, that meant that most of my time was spent looking for all of the original parts for the bike, but I was eventually successful in making it an original rider again. My plan going forward is to build my typical-style Rat using a uniquely designed early bike (with beautifully patina'd original finish) and actually trying to improve upon the original design all the while keeping the patina matching with all of the added or changed parts. I enjoy building cruiser bikes that are easy and pleasurable to ride. Therefore, reduced weight, lower gearing, comfortable riding position, and artistic aesthetics are all high priorities. I have always said that it's not just the sum of the parts, it's how they all work together that matters. That is my primary goal. Here is my starting point:
Ratty elgin twin 20 2 (2).jpg
Ratty elgin twin 20 1 (2).jpg
Ratty elgin twin 20 3 (2).jpg

Looking forward to which incarnation this one will take this year. It's been fun watching your mockups on this frame over the past 2 years. Third try is the charm.

Glad to see I'm not the only one, never finishing... Great bones and a classic...

Next step: Disassembly (to just the frame and fork) and then some different wheel/tire mock-ups. This crucial step will determine the basic look of the bike and provide more opportunities for new ideas to develop. I actually have a few different sets of wheels and tires to consider. I am probably going to use the stock fork because the bulkiness of the steering head shroud really limits what fork that can be used on this frame, but I have some other ideas for modifying forks that has been successful in the past. I am still in need of a right side teardrop pedal to match the left one I already have. Anyone have one?
Ratty elgin twin 20 pedal (2).jpg

Last edited:
It has been unseasonably cold for the last few days in Ohio. Around 40 degrees F and rainy/windy since the Build-Off started. It's supposed to be 20-30 degrees warmer right now. This is why I do all my building in my den. Throw a work blanket on the floor and and enjoy all the climate-controlled creature comforts of home. The perfect work station!
Ratty elgin indoor work space.jpg

Many of the early boys bikes had very large chain rings which made it difficult to pedal the bike at low speeds. I prefer to use the smaller chain ring (typically found on the girls bikes) to help with acceleration and overall pleasure of cruising. I found this set on ebay. It is the complete assembly off of a prewar Elgin girls bike. Therefore, it has the smaller chain ring, the smaller pedals, but the same long crank arms. Better gearing, better lean angles, and yet still has the long crank arms. Win/win/win.
Ratty elgin chain raings.jpg
Ratty elgin pedals.jpg

Many of the early boys bikes had very large chain rings which made it difficult to pedal the bike at low speeds. I prefer to use the smaller chain ring (typically found on the girls bikes) to help with acceleration and overall pleasure of cruising. I found this set on ebay. It is the complete assembly off of a prewar Elgin girls bike. Therefore, it has the smaller chain ring, the smaller pedals, but the same long crank arms. Better gearing, better lean angles, and yet still has the long crank arms. Win/win/win.View attachment 230716
Smart move. I did the same on my 40 Roadmaster.

I have always really liked the look of oversized tires on almost any bike. So my goal was to fit the largest tire I could into a stock 26" frame. Well, in order to get a 3" wide tire to fit in a 26" frame without rubbing, they have to be 24"x3" size or the tires are too tall for the frame. The 24" x 3" tires are actually 25.5" tall, so they will clear vertically in a 26" frame. These wide (3") tires must be mounted on narrow (vintage) rims so that the sidewalls are not too wide to clear the frame. The 24" x 3" tires are only 2 11/16" wide when mounted on a narrow rim which clears the Twin Bar frame easily. This 24"x3" wheel and tire combo was the original inspiration for this build, but I thought it would be fun to do a mock-up of every vintage wheel/tire combo that I could have used for this build. Everything from three different types of factory-available wheels, to the 24"x3"s, even a staggered set with a 26" front/ 24" rear combo.
Ratty elgin wheel #4.jpg
Ratty elgin wheel #3.jpg
Ratty elgin wheel #5.jpg
Ratty elgin wheel #1.jpg
Ratty elgin wheel #2.jpg

I have always really liked the look of oversized tires on almost any bike. So my goal was to fit the largest tire I could into a stock 26" frame. Well, in order to get a 3" wide tire to fit in a 26" frame without rubbing, they have to be 24"x3" size or the tires are too tall for the frame. The 24" x 3" tires are actually 25.5" tall, so they will clear vertically in a 26" frame. These wide (3") tires must be mounted on narrow (vintage) rims so that the sidewalls are not too wide to clear the frame. The 24" x 3" tires are only 2 11/16" wide when mounted on a narrow rim which clears the Twin Bar frame easily. This 24"x3" wheel and tire combo was the original inspiration for this build, but I thought it would be fun to do a mock-up of every vintage wheel/tire combo that I could have used for this build. Everything from three different types of factory-available wheels, to the 24"x3"s, even a staggered set with a 26" front/ 24" rear combo. View attachment 231460View attachment 231461View attachment 231462View attachment 231463View attachment 231464
You got a lotta nice options layin around! I like the offset of the last ones but the top selection is tasty too and we still haven't seen the really rusted ones suited up. Wow

The 24x3" creams are the bees knees! Thanks for the tip on fitting that size in a 26" frame, I'm going to try that on one of my builds.
:cool2:
That's why I showed so many wheel/tire options together. I think the 24" tires look the best! The 24"x3" tires measure 25.5" tall and just under 2 3/4" wide on a narrow (1") rim width. They will fit in most 26" frames as long as your wheels are straight and true, and still look fat even on the narrow rims. Win/win!

So far, the 24"x3" cream tires are what I want to go with on this build. I have also been experimenting with attaching the front part of a Monark springer fork onto different stock fork legs (with nice results). It still needs some adjustments, but I think it makes the the bike better balanced with the front tire moved forward about 2". Looks longer and lower. I like it.

Ratty elgin springer 2.jpg
Ratty elgin springer 1 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back