• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ruff Basman or Porucho Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rusty, I had both bikes.
Loved them both.
Things to consider in my humble opinion:
  • The Basman had a 'plate' bottom bracket which wasn't very stiff and strong. Yo might weld a plate to it like I did with my buildoff 18 bike. Link to the right page *click here*
  • The Basman's frame was too low to go over sidewalks and higher bumps, but when you know what to look for then you'll get used to it.
  • The Porucho, with 26x3.0 tires was still a bit low regarding pedal strikes. Low bottom bracket that is.
  • The Porucho, with its forward (just like the Basman, but I can not remember how far it reached) bottom bracket, I had issues hitting the front tire with my foot. You can mitigate this by utilizing a fork with more offset.

The rest is more of an opinion on style I believe. Its been 10+ years that I sold the Basman bike.

Personally I love the Basman in its timeless appearance.
The Porucho has that 'boardtracker' looks to it. Rough, love it.

What kind of look or feel are you aiming for?

Good luck with your decision!

Latest posts

Back