Running light

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Found this at the Re Store for $4.00. It will be rebuilt and go on a project bike. It's small like the teardrop plastic repops they sell but this one is all steel. It's got cloth covered electric wire so it's not new. Any ideas out there what this was originally for or from?

The green paint looks vintage industrial, could have been in a factory somewhere. Emergency lighting maybe?
Very cool find tho, would make a great headlight.

The green paint looks vintage industrial, could have been in a factory somewhere. Emergency lighting maybe?
Very cool find tho, would make a great headlight.

By the clamp system and lack of rust I think you are right, I couldn't figure out how it was mounted on a car or boat with the existing clamp. Never thought of emergency lightning. Thanks. I took it apart and it has a large Carlton 6-8 volt bulb, 1133 which was for a car or truck. There is no rust inside or outside of it so it hasn't been in the elements. The cork gasket fell apart when I took the lens off. It was coated in shellac, which also just crumbled. The rubber grommet is petrified. I plan to put an LED in it.

Wherever it came from very cool find! At the Green Bay ReStore I got 3 old stamped steel bike wrenches/tire levers for $.25 each.
DSCF1107.JPG
DSCF1108.JPG
DSCF1109.JPG

Nothin fancy but nice to have they get the job done!

Wherever it came from very cool find! At the Green Bay ReStore I got 3 old stamped steel bike wrenches/tire levers for $.25 each.
View attachment 21478 View attachment 21479 View attachment 21480

Nothin fancy but nice to have they get the job done!

That top one, the tire spoon were the kind you used to buy at the big box store before they went plastic. I still have 3 of them. I keep breaking the plastic ones, all they are good for is running around the rim after the metal ones have started to remove it. Can't get good inexpensive tire irons anymore. Hang on to that one.

I want to put this light on this Rollfast rainbow frame I have. I have had this frame for 4 years, maybe longer, and it is time I get down and work on it. So much work though, I keep putting it off, for 4 years so far. I have to build a wheel, wire the light, paint, etc, etc. Hard to find the motivation. I have all the components, it's just a matter of motivation. We have similar ideas on what sort of bike this light would look good on. On the other hand, the longer I procrastinate the more stuff I will find for this project.

I want to put this light on this Rollfast rainbow frame I have. I have had this frame for 4 years, maybe longer, and it is time I get down and work on it. So much work though, I keep putting it off, for 4 years so far. I have to build a wheel, wire the light, paint, etc, etc. Hard to find the motivation. I have all the components, it's just a matter of motivation. We have similar ideas on what sort of bike this light would look good on. On the other hand, the longer I procrastinate the more stuff I will find for this project.
How about using build off 11 for motivation?

good idea but what is the theme?
There isn't a theme.
You can make one for your build if you'd like, but it's pretty much build whatever you want.
Last year I did a bare metal, wagon wheeled trike. Whereas another builder used two girls frames to create a men's frame. This build off is everything mild to wild.

People use anything for parts, whether it be an old industrial light or a soup can. I've even seen old bottle openers and dinner forks used as brake arm straps.

So I'd say use your imagination and go crazy.

Wait, now that I think about it. Wasn't it last years build off when you built your jukadi bike? (hope I spelled that right)

There isn't a theme.
You can make one for your build if you'd like, but it's pretty much build whatever you want.
Last year I did a bare metal, wagon wheeled trike. Whereas another builder used two girls frames to create a men's frame. This build off is everything mild to wild.

People use anything for parts, whether it be an old industrial light or a soup can. I've even seen old bottle openers and dinner forks used as brake arm straps.

So I'd say use your imagination and go crazy.

Wait, now that I think about it. Wasn't it last years build off when you built your jukadi bike? (hope I spelled that right)

Yes the Jukadi, the frame broke, so I think I was a DNF. It lasted quite a while but broke from poor engineering. I can't recall it there was a theme last year. I could build that rainbow rollfast but I hate to think of all the work.

Latest posts

Back