Running like crazy find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well today started out with a run to the post office, weather wasn't bad so I rode my bike. After since it was on the way I stopped by the scrapyard to see if any bikes were there, Sure enough there was. A Giant Rincon ladies bike with nice paint, Wineman wheels, Skewer hubs front and back, just missing tires, tubes, a seat, and grips. Price $6 out the door!!! :shock: Good thing I took the trailer with me. :mrgreen:

So I was riding the rest of the way home and thought, "Hey today is Friday..... Flea Market is open.....wonder if they have any bikes". :? So I get there and sure enough off in the corner there is this Taiwan Schwinn but then I notice the heavy duty rims, and the BMX style fork, I ask how much? he says $30. I mention it has dry rotted tires and some rust on the sprocket, Bent chain guard, Got it down to $25. I thought, "Hey I don't have room on the trailer for another bike"... :idea: wonder if I can trade and throw him a few bucks". DEAL $10 and got the giant off the trailer. I took him down some tires and grips I had laying around just to be nice to him and butter him up for the next deal. :mrgreen:

Anyway here's the pics, Not bad for the $16 I got in it.
PB060148.jpg

Heavy duty wheels
PB060151.jpg

little patina
PB060152.jpg

BMX fork and stem.... Klunker material 8)
PB060153.jpg

PB060154.jpg

Crank is rusty
PB060155.jpg

I got something Schwinn should have put in it, what did they do merge with Huffy? I got something for this
PB060157.jpg

and got to loose the chainguard Says "Ormond Schwinn Cyclery / Volusia Schwinn Cyclery Florida" How it would end up in Kokomo, Indiana I'll never know.
PB060160.jpg

and this head badge sticker.
PB060162.jpg

Well I got it all apart and cleaned up and polished as much as I could. Swapped out the crank, Got it back together and it doesn't look bad. Working now to get the rust off the rims.

It Said "Solar Wind" on the top tube and had a Schwinn bike shop sticker and Schwinn grips on it. So I assume it's Schwinn but not having an actual head badge is kinda making me think otherwise. Either way I did a little work on it, stripped the peeling stickers, cleaned everything, replaced the crank, shined up the rusty wheels, and did a little chrome spray paint on the seat springs. Don't look too bad.

PB070170.jpg

Same stem and fork as this girl's Schwinn I got a while back. Heavy duty wheels too but it's a 5 speed.
P8240001.jpg

Did a little more to it, Installed a decal that is going to act as a paint mask for when I paint it.
PB070167.jpg

Also here is a better picture of the spruced up seat
PB070166.jpg

Next comes the 5 speed conversion. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back