Rust Never Sleeps

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Bears game today so I will be working on this. Will I go so far that I have to cut the tube and reweld it? I hope I don't have to but I am prepared... Gonna try to split the inner seatpost. The difference between this and an old gooseneck? There is no parting line. Materials are getting scarce too. Couldn't find a decent brass wire wheel yesterday, except a small 2" one...

Carl.

Stem is rust welded in good man!

If it's 1'' 21.1mm ID tube, races could be ganged together to help push/pull from if you get any ideas.... It'll free eventually.
forked.jpg

🍿 🥨

Haha! Very good, I've already put a cone and a nut on it. But mostly to protect the threads, because I'm fixin' to get medieval on it. It is unwieldy to work on though with the extra bit of bracing and the bottom bracket too. I maybe forced to cleanup my bench top to create a space to work. Really my whole garage is atrocious. Too many bikes? No too much other stuff like saws, work tables and buckets or duffels full of tools for particular jobs. Electrical here and plumbing there, I have a system but there is too much clutter here for a good bike shop too.

Carl.

I didn't work on it at all this afternoon. Family and videogames took over. But I got a couple hours in tonight. Spent too long beating on it.
IMG_20211107_200230.jpg
IMG_20211107_200223.jpg

Once I made the decision to just cut it off it went quick. Whoa what's this solid plug?
IMG_20211107_203423.jpg
IMG_20211107_203432.jpg

Then I spent too long beating on this, but I'm glad I did.
IMG_20211107_203920.jpg

There's a nub of the solid plug and the ROUND WEDGE BOLT.
I never did get the last three inches of seatpost out. But I did cut a new tube from a stout mtb fork. I also trimmed a fat eighth off the fork butt. Now I need to weld the nub back on. Then weld the new piece on. Woohoo.
IMG_20211107_213114.jpg
IMG_20211107_213127.jpg

IMG_20211107_213139.jpg

Maybe tomorrow... I'm still thinking about the solid part inside the bottom of the fork. I'm guessing it's the bracket mount that holds the pin and the springs. (Did I mention I have those parts?) I probably don't need to weld the nub back on but that little piece left on the "butt" end of the fork isn't much of a backer. I usually sleeve these kind of splices but the solid piece nixed that...

GC.

I didn't work on it at all this afternoon. Family and videogames took over. But I got a couple hours in tonight. Spent too long beating on it.
View attachment 177214View attachment 177215
Once I made the decision to just cut it off it went quick. Whoa what's this solid plug?
View attachment 177216View attachment 177217
Then I spent too long beating on this, but I'm glad I did.
View attachment 177218
There's a nub of the solid plug and the ROUND WEDGE BOLT.
I never did get the last three inches of seatpost out. But I did cut a new tube from a stout mtb fork. I also trimmed a fat eighth off the fork butt. Now I need to weld the nub back on. Then weld the new piece on. Woohoo.
View attachment 177219View attachment 177220
View attachment 177221
Maybe tomorrow... I'm still thinking about the solid part inside the bottom of the fork. I'm guessing it's the bracket mount that holds the pin and the springs. (Did I mention I have those parts?) I probably don't need to weld the nub back on but that little piece left on the "butt" end of the fork isn't much of a backer. I usually sleeve these kind of splices but the solid piece nixed that...

GC.
I feel your frustration and enjoy the fact that you can use that slug as a sleeve…. When life gives ya lemons…. 👍👍🥃💪

Oh I put like 3 hours in on it today!
Welded the seatpost tube and attacked the rust with a flap wheel. Quick mockup, 2 front wheels...
IMG_20211116_151451.jpg
IMG_20211116_151456.jpg
IMG_20211116_152303.jpg

Heated the dropout up with a torch and then opened it up with an old chisel as crusty as the frame.
IMG_20211116_154405.jpg
IMG_20211116_154415.jpg
IMG_20211116_162253.jpg
IMG_20211116_173540.jpg

Fun fun...

GC.

Last edited:
I've got a ways to go but it seems to be cleaning up relatively well using the flap wheel. There are a few tight areas it won't reach inside the triangle but for the most part even the deep surface rust is coming off. With just one tiny spot on one chain stay actually eaten thru, I'm contemplating a name change, with Chrome Dreams leading at this point. It'll be a Neil Young title to keep some linear feeling going for sure. I'm also contemplating colors, maybe root beer.

Carl.

Last edited:
Yep looks that way to me too. There's also issues in a couple other spots... It's a beater for sure

GC.

Not much to save in these headsets either. Except the sweet locking races which are pitted bad on top but nice and smooth inside where it counts.
IMG_20211117_111341.jpg
IMG_20211117_111358.jpg
IMG_20211117_111421.jpg

Trying different forks today. I've got a few here without digging in the boneyard.

GC.

Good news, bad news, good news?
IMG_20211117_120022.jpg
IMG_20211117_120047.jpg

Good news is I found a 28 hole Komet super coaster in my stash. Bad news is it looks like this might be the only 28 hole rim I have... Good news is it's wide and it might be chrome under the paint?
Man if I can stuff a 20 x 3 on here that'd be cool...

GC.

How do you get such tires on the rim, are they partly hollow?
From my time working in a wheelchair repair shop, I remember that the main tool for mounting a full rubber tire is a large set of swearing words 🤬🤬🤬
😂

How do you get such tires on the rim, are they partly hollow?
Ah, a Schwinn Exerciser bike. The hard rubber tire is already on the rim. I've torn a few Exercisers apart, mostly for the large sprocket. But they've got good tubing and an awesome heavy-duty seatpost (on the old ones) and a set of small apes. Most are coppertone, a rare few are green. So I have parts around, I didn't have to "mount" it. It's also just a poser, definitely not using it.

Carl.

Last edited:
Visited the boneyard today at my other house and found an aluminium 20" rim fairly wide, with the correct amount of holes to use the kickback hub from that 26" wheel set that I was going to put on my Spaceliner... But I'm not building the Spacer now and I am building a swing bike so there ya go, a two speed coaster. Now I just need to find a mag sprocket and a smaller cog.
IMG_20211120_154647.jpg

Time to Google up the Sapim spoke calculator. It's easy enough and does everything I need.

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back