Rust Never Sleeps

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good planning payed off. Glad you ain't injured and the bike is across the line.
Better than across the line. The second weld is stronger than the first and most of the bike is put back together. I've got an indicator chain and kickstand on. It shifts smooth and will stand without leaning on something else. I've just got some more reassembly to do. It was getting late and I'm the cook so...

GC

View attachment 187078View attachment 187079View attachment 187080
About 3 minutes after I took these pics some fool almost hit me with his car. I slammed my brakes, hit the curb at an angle and broke the main weld holding the rear fork tube together. Now my welds ain't pretty but they're usually strong. Well it was hanging on but you couldn't ride it. Less than a block from home, the bank where I shot the pics is only across the street. So I took it apart. Ground everything down and welded a different tube on to the rear section. I'll finish putting it back together in the morning.

GC.
Bummer man! Always a snag somewhere. Looking great!

Rust Never Sleeps II
IMG_20220301_110716.jpg
IMG_20220301_110755.jpg

During the reassembly I found some nice bow pedals I had stashed... Indicator chain is on and adjusted with the funky SA shifter. I'm happy even though there's no sunlight to gleam from it's a decent build.

GC.

UNABASHED PLUG FOR THE UNOFFICIAL MARCH SHOOTOUT 4 WHICH JUST SPONTANEOUSLY STARTED
Go see the fun in the Competitions / Build Challenges one month anything goes.
GC.

IMG_20211106_144303.jpg

Post credits scene. Looking backwards at the work, if I had to do it again, I'd sleeve the seatpost. Does it need to adjust? Not for me. I set them to fit me and forget it. Weakening that fork tube with a welded joint was a bad decision, because the only welder I have up and running is a crappy wire feeder with little penetration. Hindsight is 20/20 so now I know. When I get my other garage set-up with the 220v MIG this will get rebuilt one last time. Peace and love rat rod bikes forever!

Carl.

Very cool @Tallbikeman that bike is called "Rockin' Rollfast" and I wrapped the tank in tweed! It has a little Fender battery powered amp in it that I swapped in a bigger speaker from a flat screen tv. I've been thinking about upgrading it, there's pretty nice mini amps available now with Bluetooth and all. It has played at local parks and a couple of bike shows in Chicago.
View attachment 186399
Did you know that I am a guitar repair tech? I've got a few years in, my grandfather got me started when I was 14. I tinkered for years and in my semi-retirement I've gotten serious about it, working at a mom n' pop store. I love rewiring, hotrod and custom designing the controls in electric guitars, I also do level and crowns, refrets if needed. I'm also the lead singer and rhythm guitarist in a praise band called Crossfire.

Carl.
Just got back to this feed. Noticed a Pressure guage? and looks to be an electrical measurement guage? The electric guage almost looks like the guage in older cars that told you if your generator was charging or discharging. Really like your guitar. Being lead singer is a big job in the band. And it helps if you don't have a singing voice like mine. I've built several mandolins and fretting is always very technical to get it right. The hardest part is accurately cutting the fret positions. I've thought of going back to work doing something I like but I just end up taking a nap to mull it over. The only thing I will go and do is musical gigs.

Latest posts

Back