Rust removal on painted rims

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I want to remove some rust on some old painted drop center rims, but I don't want to remove any of the old paint. What are some of your guys suggestions, on how to go about it? Thanks. Chris

And just what is your plan after removing said rust?

You have to sand the paint to make new paint stick to it anyway just saynd all of them.

I want to save the original paint as much as possible, but still have original patina. don't want to repaint them, just remove some of the surface rust without damaging the paint and pinstriping.

I had good luck with polishing compound on my straight bar . It cleaned the rust down to a minimum without removing the paint. Then I waxed the frame for protection. I was careful around the areas where the two colors meet.

Google Oxalic Acid, or search for it right here on the forum. Dissolves rust, doesn't hurt paint. Only downside is the part needs to be immersed in it for a period of time, so you need a kiddy pool or something. You can make about 20-25 gallons of it for $10.

Latest posts

Back