rusted brake/shifter cables - salvagable?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I come across many bikes that have shifter or brake cables where the calipers/derailleurs are fine, it seems the cable have rusted solid. I usually end up removing the derailleurs and brakes rather then messing around with the cables. is there a clever solution to liberating rusty cables, or do people just go get a new set made?

Many times I will remove all of the cable casings then take some sandpaper and clean up the cables. I will then spray some lithium grease in the casing and lube the cable. Put it all back together and it works like new.

Or, at Walmart, they sell a Bell set of replacement cables(4) for like 6 dollars.Unless its a stretched bike, they are long enuf to fit all bikes.

I usually don't bother messing with old cables. I've tried salvaging them as Kingfish says, but with mixed results at best. Not only do they rust, but the cables also stretch and the housings wear. Since replacements are so cheap and easy to install, I find it just isn't worth the bother.

expjawa said:
I usually don't bother messing with old cables. I've tried salvaging them as Kingfish says, but with mixed results at best. Not only do they rust, but the cables also stretch and the housings wear. Since replacements are so cheap and easy to install, I find it just isn't worth the bother.
+1

Latest posts

Back