Rusty 1969 Huffy Super Stock V - restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I started this in a 1v1 build off, but got busy, really didn't like the paint, so set it aside. So... to catch you up...

I started with this, a scrap yard recovery...
RY7nuS.jpg

7xBavR.jpg

2Rwrn5.jpg

mDpcBy.jpg

aoxJEh.jpg

YNIyKW.jpg

IYc86p.jpg

Tore it down.
uJPNDi.jpg

fjo6Vr.jpg

Removed the paint.
wrVNuk.jpg

vKIho6.jpg

DbwVdy.jpg

5ifhes.jpg

4v3en1.jpg

Found a donor bike, because most the chrome was just too far gone. Donor needed work, but not near as much.
Cleaned up the rims and built the wheels.
28iDdP.jpg

Km6Ol6.jpg

This is for my son, so I spent extra time on the frame cleaning up ugly welds.
aNSVSq.jpg

AuYwsq.jpg

Ye13mf.jpg

G4if42.jpg

kLgI3O.jpg

dco7x8.jpg

mGRJGt.jpg

Realized that the frame was pretty rusty on the inside, so got some rust-converting primer and hosed it down.
shQoAP.jpg

M4NXl8.jpg

Nut9I0.jpg

Started cleaning up some of the parts.
d3hqDV.jpg

gpj8ct.jpg

XSUBvc.jpg

fDxsL9.jpg

xbFP4W.jpg

Inside still had some issues...
chbAxM.jpg

So I hit it with "Chrome" rattle can.
sbZoI6.jpg

Started with body filler on the rust pits after spraying a coat of etch primer.
b9GmWN.jpg

AvrX6P.jpg

Sanded and repeated a couple times.
QJO8El.jpg

32oE7N.jpg

Then I painted the frame. Originally I was going to do an ice blue and the bronze accents, but I thought the grips and seat would stick out too much, so I changed direction and went with an original Huffy blue.

2Dqeer.jpg

I don't know about you, but I hated the way this came out. First, the quality of the fade is crap. I didn't have the gun set correctly. Next... the color. Denver Broncos anyone? ugh. Happily, my son hated it too, so it gave me the excuse to stop the build, and repaint it at some point... The WBO is that point.

So, I have to sand the bike to give the new paint something to grab. I don't want to start all that body work over, and having more paint will smooth it out even more.

That's where I'm at! On to the WBO!

Definitly want to soak the inside with oil or something or else it might come thrugh the steal and paint from the inside in a couple years like my brother's ross :wink1:
shQoAP.jpg

nice little bike , ill keep a eye on this one :thumbsup:

Definitly want to soak the inside with oil or something or else it might come thrugh the steal and paint from the inside in a couple years like my brother's ross :wink1:
shQoAP.jpg

nice little bike , ill keep a eye on this one :thumbsup:
He has already hit it with Rust Reformer.

He has already hit it with Rust Reformer.
did the same on the brother's bike, it does not reach the inside very far tho and invaded it back again

You can get farther into the tubes with a bottle of Por 15 or similar as you can just pour it in and move the frame around to coat all the surfaces. I used it in the sills of a 1990 Subaru that I got in 1998 and they're still not rusted in New England (though the car hasn't moved from the garage in ten years).

It's a rust converter body shop guys recommended to me (even though, a cynic could argue that they'd have a vested interest in Duchess rusting so they could do the repairs). I don't know if it's better than any others, it's just what I've used.

POR 15 is good stuff, used it on some car resto stuff. It has to be applied over rust to bond, if you use it on clean steel it sheets off. Of you try it, buy the thinner and reduce to pour it thru.

How about a gun barrel brush on a flex handle. Gun barrel cleaning pads to move the paint around in there. Just throwing out ideas.

Quick update, no visuals. Bought a can of POR-15, bought an Olive Oil pour bottle to easily pour the paint down the tubes. It worked, but left a huge mess, and the overflow I wasn't able to wipe it all away because of other stuff going on. So it dried, and the runs were visibly present, meaning the bumped up, and would show.

So I had do sand like a madman, and now I'm spraying primer over the paint in order to better see where I need to smooth out the imperfections. I'm hoping to get the frame into the booth Sunday morning. We'll see if that works out.

it works good but you have to clean the lose rust away first .
This is internal to the tubing, so cleaning away the loose stuff wasn't going to happen. Too late now, so hopefully this additional step of heavily coating the inside will be enough to abate it.

Latest posts

Back