rusty patina questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
My first post here....I have a Schwinn DX frame that is solid rust. I want to keep the rusty patina, but not have it accelerrate...How do I keep the rusty color, but not have it advance into cancer? Will clear coat neutralize the rust?
Any thoughts would be great....Any advice for making the fork match? Right now its in gray primer?
-Erin

clear powder coating might work. i don't know if it would look funny though because it might give find of a gloss look to it. so you might have to go over it with a scrotch brite pad.

it's an Anodic / Cathodic thing.....

Acid will neutralise the rust.A product called RUST-MORTwill do that.It will turn it black and you wash it off.You may loose that dusty rusty look but you can get that back later with a little Faux Finishing with a few spray bombs.

Vinager is also another way to clean / neutralize it. I'm sure yaa got somma that.

I wouldn't apply a clear coat directly to a substrate that has any dust.It is likely to fail.But the vinager should work and the deap Pitting and pock marks from the rust will still be there after.

good luck.

Nothing really kills/neutralizes the rust. If you want that looks, wipe off the loose rust and dust. Clear coat and few good coats and keep the bike out of the rain. That is about all you can do, unless you are great at painting. Then make a homemake patina.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try the vinager, as its cheap....I was thinking of rustoleum brown/rust colored primer, and a satin clear coat, at least from 5 feet away, it would look rusty....but I may try just neutralizing the rust and clear coating....I will post more as I know more.
-Erin

what i did on my bike is used a 3 in one lubricant that lubes, cleans, and prevents rust. just wiped it all over the frame. it made it a darker brown but looks really cool.

is it a "Short Oil" Slillet?
Short Oil dries with not residue
"Long Oil" usually stays Wet and Oily for a long time.

I guess what I'm saying is .....does the oil trick make a mess of your cloths when you touch the bike?

Kev.

i guess it's a short oil. doesn't take long to dry and when it does you can touch it without getting anything on your hands

lube.jpg

Latest posts

Back