Rusty Red Transporter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrap Wolf

Designer, Maker, Farmer
Pro Member
Reaction score
The last Build-Off which I competed in dates from 5 years ago. And although I got a lot on my plate this summer, I don't want to miss out again on all the build fun. Around two years ago a friend gave me his old transporter bike. I think this is a great base to start with. Good to be back!

RRBB16_transporter_01.jpg

Good to see you back. Not enough hours in the day, these days for many of us... Lets take it all slow and easy and enjoy. Good frame to start with.

Welcome back to the build off fun @Scrap Wolf ! You've got a great frame to start with there, looking forward to your creative ideas.

RaT oN~!

The azor frames are quite decent as opposed to the popal or bsp crap you can literally find on the streets here.. Curious what this will become, if you need any parts send me a message, i might have them lying around.

The azor frames are quite decent as opposed to the popal or bsp crap you can literally find on the streets here.. Curious what this will become, if you need any parts send me a message, i might have them lying around.
True, it is a decent frame. Thanks Karl, if parts are needed I'll let you know.

So... I finally started on the bike. The whole frame is disassembled, except the crappie plastic bottom bracket. I do not have the right socket for this one. Never the less I went on and started removing paint/coating and the underlying rust. Overall it felt good to be back in the shed and working on a bicycle project.
IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7098.jpg

So... I finally started on the bike. The whole frame is disassembled, except the crappie plastic bottom bracket. I do not have the right socket for this one. Never the less I went on and started removing paint/coating and the underlying rust. Overall it felt good to be back in the shed and working on a bicycle project.View attachment 163691
View attachment 163692
View attachment 163693
If you wanna take out that bottom bracket and you are lacking the tool, just build one by yourself. All you need is a piece of ply and some nuts and bolts:
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/barrelbanana-lowrider-still-in-ab-use.99083/post-993859

If you wanna take out that bottom bracket and you are lacking the tool, just build one by yourself. All you need is a piece of ply and some nuts and bolts:
https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/threads/barrelbanana-lowrider-still-in-ab-use.99083/post-993859
Great idea building the tool this way. Love it. I tried to remove the bracket with an oil filter wrench, the one with the chain. But for now, I probably leave the bottom bracket in. The bearings still turn very smooth. The upside of this plastic bracket is that it closing off very well. There is a lot of rust damage around this part of the frame, yet no water got in I think.

I have used a pipe wrench to remove bottom bracket bearing cups. Your cups both look like they project beyond the bearing tube so a pipe wrench will work. Remember the reverse threading on one of the cups. One cup will come directly out and the other should be a threaded locking ring that is removed first, then the cup.

Last night I managed to get the frame fully stripped. It bothered me the bottom bracket was still in the frame. So I spend some time making a 6 notch installation and removal tool. It fits great and it was fun to make. The downside is, the bottom bracket is still in. These nylon cups are stuck forever. I applied little force and still, the cups ended up damaged. I stopped to not make matters worse. Another technic I tried was "jutteren". Not sure what this is called in English. But it comes down to, short thrusts left and right. Did this by tapping the tool with the side of a hammer. Overall outcome from last night; bottom bracket is not removed, a great new tool is made!

transporter_01.png

transporter_02.png
transporter_03.png
transporter_04.png
transporter_05.png
transporter_06.png
transporter_07.png
transporter_09.png
transporter_10.png
transporter_11.png
transporter_12.jpg
transporter_08.png

Last night I managed to get the frame fully stripped. It bothered me the bottom bracket was still in the frame. So I spend some time making a 6 notch installation and removal tool. It fits great and it was fun to make. The downside is, the bottom bracket is still in. These nylon cups are stuck forever. I applied little force and still, the cups ended up damaged. I stopped to not make matters worse. Another technic I tried was "jutteren". Not sure what this is called in English. But it comes down to, short thrusts left and right. Did this by tapping the tool with the side of a hammer. Overall outcome from last night; bottom bracket is not removed, a great new tool is made!

View attachment 164530
View attachment 164531View attachment 164532View attachment 164533View attachment 164534View attachment 164535View attachment 164536View attachment 164537View attachment 164538View attachment 164539View attachment 164540View attachment 164541
Love your version of the tool!
The last time I had to remove this kind of bottom bracket I ended up taking out piece by piece...
I'll never put one of this crappy plastic things in ever again!

Love your version of the tool!
The last time I had to remove this kind of bottom bracket I ended up taking out piece by piece...
I'll never put one of this crappy plastic things in ever again!
Thanks again for sharing your version of the tool. It helped a lot coming up with this one.

Last edited:
Last night was cleaning night. Some rusty parts are getting the vinegar and salt treatment. The rear wheel I'm using came with this bike. It is in great shape. The rim only needed to be cleaned. I took the hub apart for cleaning and servicing. That's done, the only thing left is slapping a tire on it. After this, I can move forward with mocking up the bike. Let's see if the stance I have in mind really works!

transporter_13.jpg

transporter_14.jpg

transporter_15.jpg

transporter_16.jpg

transporter_17.jpg

transporter_18.jpg

View attachment 164530
View attachment 164531View attachment 164532View attachment 164533View attachment 164534View attachment 164535View attachment 164536View attachment 164537View attachment 164538View attachment 164539View attachment 164540View attachment 164541
Great progress on the frame!
It was probably powdercoated, that is hard to remove!

If you really want to remove the BB, you need to melt the cups and then hit it with a hammer so the bearing shell comes out (of course you'll need to replace it afterwards😅). The with a hacksaw blade you can saw the piece that's still in, in half and pry it out. It's a tedious job, but doable. I've done it many times with those BB's
It's a common problem with brackets, they use no grease when they assemble it.

Latest posts

Back