S2 hub/wheel will fit on middleweight S7 bike ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy , I Just picked up a 68 Panther with S7 wheels . I'm Looking to leave the slim S7 wheel / tire on the front and switch to a S2 on the back for the wider tire . Are the hubs the same size in width ? . Would it fit ? , but only vary in rim height ? . How wide a tire would you recommend working with a stock rear fender . Or with no fender . I'm going for the chopper look and any suggestions for a Kool set of wheels on the market would be appreciated .

Factory S-7 wheels fit common dropout spacing. Compared to the 1 3/4", quality (not Walmart/K-mart) 2.125" tires look pretty fat, and you can probably squeeze a 2.4" in there. To go really big, 24"x3" is readily available, they're almost as tall as a 26".

Thanks D-man , Very Smart !, on the 3G 24" wheels being almost 26" with tire mounted & inflated . I never would have looked at the 24" wheel as a possibility . I doubt I will have 3- 1/2" of clearance but I will be looking into it soon . I didn't have a S2 rear wheel laying around to check the fit before I buy a S2 wheel to replace the S7 . Nice to know either of the hubs will fit my bike . Will a regular Mtn bike tire fit on a S2 wheel , like a 26 x 2.0 ? . Some of those have slick tread designs . I will try some old tires I have to check for clearance if so . Thanks again , K

I've got 26x 2.35 Fat Franks under my middleweight Schwinn, with fenders. It fits but your wheels gotta be straight.

Thanks to all , Much appreciated advice . Does the 2.35 rub the fenders or frame or both if the wheel isn't true enough GTV ? . I'm thinking S2 wheel , hopefully a 2 speed hub with a slick 26 x 2.0 tire might do the trick . I'll post pics one day when I get familiar with this site . Peace , K

FirkinKirk said:
Thanks to all , Much appreciated advice . Does the 2.35 rub the fenders or frame or both if the wheel isn't true enough GTV ? . I'm thinking S2 wheel , hopefully a 2 speed hub with a slick 26 x 2.0 tire might do the trick . I'll post pics one day when I get familiar with this site . Peace , K

To put it simply, things gotta be perfect in there. No room for error. The only issue I've got is when I "get on it", pedal hard and the bike moves from side to side, the front fender stay will brush up against the sidewall making a little squeak squeak. I've been thinking of swapping to S2's and 2.125 Typhoon Cords, but I really like the 2.35's.

You'll have no issues with S2's and 2.125's unless something is way outta spec.

Latest posts

Back