Saa-Mokin'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too hot to work on bikes, so might as well do something to take advantage of the heat!

Smoking a 15 lb Brisket and some Pinto Beans seemed like a good choice for the day.

I rubbed the Brisket up with some Obie-Que brisket rub last night and let it season overnight.

Fired up the Ugly Drum Smoker with some Royal Oak chunk charcoal and a nice stick of native Texas Pecan wood.
Got the Brisket on the smoker about 8:30 this morning.

DSC01298640.jpg

While the fire was getting going I got some ingredients ready for the Pinto Beans.
Smoked Pork Hocks, thick sliced Bacon, and a few home grown Onions.

DSC01301640.jpg

I sorted the beans last night, and they soaked in water until this morning.
Everybody in the Pool in the Crock Pot.

DSC01303640.jpg

Low and Slow - all day long.

DSC01302640.jpg

Fast forward to about 5 PM.

The Pintos are done.

DSC01304640.jpg

The Brisket is at about 200F. Time to pull off the smoker and Foil it up to rest.

DSC01305640.jpg

Stay tuned for more............

Sweet!! Ive been smokin some pork chops all day!!!!
Using some Cherry wood from downed trees out back
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Another record high for DFW - 107F this afternoon. 88F in the morning feels downright cool! :(

Wish I could invite everyone over -- I would if I could! :D

Markm how were the chops?

Oh man Jerry...that looks awesome. :shock:

BUT....glad I'm not sharing a bed with you tonight...LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've had three in the last 20yrs.....This is what happens when they die.

001-58.jpg

Old smokers never die, but rust never sleeps! :mrgreen:

(that's why I don't buy those sheet metal things. 1/4 inch steel, will last the rest of my lifetime).

Have to admit, it looks pretty nice with the flowers and all.....

gdcast,

I'd like to see a picture of your grill and how the airflow is designed with the wood fire on the side.

Also, are those pork ribs sliced across the bones? Never seen them cut that way.

Any info on how you grill/smoke meats in your country will be greatly appreciated.

Jerry.

Jerry, I´ll take the picture as soon as I get home. In the mid time, I found some pictures of typical "parrilleros" (grill):
http://www.google.com.uy/search?hl=es&b ... a=N&tab=wi

How to build a "parrillero": http://translate.google.com.uy/translat ... ml&act=url

The cut in my pic is traditional "Asado", or veal ribs.
See more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asado

But the thing I like the most, and usually make one for new years eve, is Lamb:
000_0381.JPG

Hope it helps, if you have more questions, I´ll be glad to answer. :D

WOW, you guys do get serious down there. Thanks for all the pictures and information.

I smoked this beef brisket on my drum smoker, usually called an "ugly drum smoker" since they are usually built from a clean "oil drum" and are usually not painted up on the outside. Functional is the goal, very much like a rat rod bike! I made mine look too good to be called "ugly" :D

Here's how to build your own. They work amazingly well and are very cheap to build.

http://www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com/

Here we usually call the whole cooker a "grill" for fast hot fires, or a "smoker" for low temps and long cooking times.

We also call the grill that holds the meat in the cooker a "grill". I have seen your grills on TV made of the 90 degree steel.
I have often wondered why you have the "V" up? Does it hold the meat's juices and boil them off up into the meat to add flavor and keep the meat moist?

Seems like it would be a lot harder to clean after the cook than if you had them turned with the "V" down???

Thanks!

Well, now that you mention those "V" is actually one of the first times I pay attention to that. But I´m completely sure that in most grills built here, we use common rods. Most likely they used what they had around to build that one.

Asados here are not simply a way of cooking meat, they are a social excuse to get together with family or friends and hang out in front of the grill. We eat meat almost every day, my father in law grills on Mondays and I do it Fridays with friends and Saturdays with the family. :D That´s why the grill has so much relevance in most of our backyards.
In small apartments, you will definitely find grills similar to the ones you guys use, we call them "Medio Tanque", half drum, and I´m not sorry to say, they´re rattier and uglier than the ones in the States, hehe :wink: :lol:

feria+medio+tanque.jpg

72932.jpg

I have to look in my home PC, cause I know I have new years pics of my own grill and family, and I still owe you the pic I promised.

I think a blood vessel just broke in my head.....burning cherry??? Why???? Why not apple, or hickory, or pecan (almost the same as hickory) or mesquite???? I turn wooden handle grips out of cherry...beautiful wood. I don't think I could bring myself to burning it....oh, the food shots are great!!! Brisket...next best thing to bacon!

Latest posts

Back