SALTFATS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done finally, here is a few photos taken yesterday at the Boeing Future of Flight Museum, 4 out of 5 people in the parking lot stopped to check out the bike. At least two of them went home to check out the site. The finished photos are in the completed section.
Saltfats022.jpg

Saltfats013.jpg

Saltfats042.jpg

Saltfats015.jpg

I took Saltfats for its first cruise today but the original chain broke. I think I soaked it in vinegar for too long! One new chain and 10 miles later, no problems at all, the seat is very comfy and no back aches. All is good.

i dont think vinager would affect the chain. i know it has acetic acid, but its not that strong. maybe it broke cuz its old.. :wink:

I have a request :D Can you put the bontrager slicks from your "81" build on this bike and snap some pics? The cremes look great, but I think the slicks might look awesome. Pretty please?

necessaryevil said:
I have a request :D Can you put the bontrager slicks from your "81" build on this bike and snap some pics? The cremes look great, but I think the slicks might look awesome. Pretty please?

Sure, I have a set of blackwalls and redlines. I held both up to the bike and was not sure which way to go. I will put the blackwalls on and shoot another photo in a day or two.

lobsterboyx said:
this is THE SICKEST bike ive ever seen. my hiawatha is begging for something like that!

Thats what Saltfats looked like, better get busy and throw it in the stretcher!! Cool headlight BTW.

maddogrider said:
Does the steering dampner make a big differance at speed?

Yes!
It makes it very stable even at the low settings. If you crank it up to one of the firmer settings its not good while cruising around slow or through a crowd, the steering just is not fast enough. Anything over 10 mph its awesome and I did a one handed downhill when I first tested it probably over at 30mph, it feels more like a motorcycle, stable as can be.
I have rode this bike every day since it was finished and have the settings sorted out pretty well.
You can run over rocks and other debris but the steering stays pointed where you want it. You would have to ride it to fully appreciate it. I think its great and will do another bike similar. Next time I will probably try to hide the damper in a "between-bar tank" and run it off the bottom of the headset so its not so "in your face". It was right for this bike but I have a couple of other ideas for the future.
Shawn

Latest posts

Back