SALTFATS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got Saltfats finished up just in time, here are the specs.

Frame;
40s Hiawatha frame stretched 3"
Unnecessary brackets were shaved and left in raw finish
Clear powdercoated frame to show weld heat burns and original brazing
Custom side panels in raw coated finish with louveres and gold leaf scripting

Forks;
Custom made sealed bearing headset
Fork tubes ground medical grade stainless
Lower tripple slightly modified Giannini R-2
Upper Tree from scratch to get the rake right
Fork tubes got custom aluminum pointed caps top and bottom
GRC 26 way adj. steering damper

Bars;
Custom built stainless clip on style
Custom aluminum bar end caps
Heat wrap exhaust tape double layered.

Seat;
From scratch Hardened Aluminum Pan pressed and then contoured with an english wheel and mirror polished top and bottom.
Stainless steel solid seat post and mounting bracket.

Cranks;
Stock Hiawatha cranks were stripped of chrome heated for torch marks and powdercoated to match frame.
Sprocket is original skip tooth
Custom rear sprocket
Modern bmx pedals with cut down cages and brass hardware.

Wheels;
Bicycle exchange supplied double walled heavy spoke 26"
Mooneyes wheel covers.
Schwalbe Creme Fat Frank Tires

IMG_5293.jpg

IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5280.jpg

Saltfats039.jpg

I love everything about it...except the grips. Not that it's not cool as in with staying with the whole themed but my hands just itch looking at it. lol. My hands itched for a good few hours the first time i wrapped a header with header wrap and I learned to wear rubber gloves after that. I would kill to have that entire front end...fork, trees, clipons, dampner.

Ever since you started teasing us with pictures I've tried to picture the finished bike and well....my imagination ........dont work as well as yours. OMG that bike is down right gorgeous. IM a lover of the flats and FATS....from way back....I think the saying used to go...if it goes fast on 4 wheels imagine what it will do on 3 wheels ...well I say if it will go fast on 3 how about 2.....I think you used a high speed camera on yours cause it looks like its going a thousand miles an hour.
I only have one bad thing to say though............the pictures are NOT big enough....I like clicking and looking at all the fine details.....its a learning experience for me.
Love it Hill....
Terry

GREAT BIKE!

Pinche said:
I love everything about it...except the grips. Not that it's not cool as in with staying with the whole themed but my hands just itch looking at it. lol. My hands itched for a good few hours the first time i wrapped a header with header wrap and I learned to wear rubber gloves after that. I would kill to have that entire front end...fork, trees, clipons, dampner.

The heat wrap I used does not have any fiberglass, I think its a high grade Nomex and so far no itching. I had to buy a huge roll to inatall on some headers for a vintage racing car and worked with it all day bare handed. No problems. I used what was left over for these grips.

jezusjonz said:
Ever since you started teasing us with pictures I've tried to picture the finished bike and well....my imagination ........dont work as well as yours. gosh that bike is down right gorgeous. IM a lover of the flats and FATS....from way back....I think the saying used to go...if it goes fast on 4 wheels imagine what it will do on 3 wheels ...well I say if it will go fast on 3 how about 2.....I think you used a high speed camera on yours cause it looks like its going a thousand miles an hour.
I only have one bad thing to say though............the pictures are NOT big enough....I like clicking and looking at all the fine details.....its a learning experience for me.
Love it Hill....
Terry

Photographing this bike was a pain, I had planned on going down to Bonneville yesterday to shoot these but the weather was overcast with on and off snow in the forecast. A friend of mine is a photographer for the local newspaper and has some really good gear but the detail was hard to capture. You are looking at the best of 800 plus shots. I think the raw metal and clearcoating reflects weird, the seat is mirror polished top and bottom but you can't see it in the photos.

johnp.smith said:
Where are you able to get the discs from, I have been looking everywhere for these

You can get them from Mooneyes directly but they are not in stock. They only make them after an order is placed, these took about 5 weeks to get so plan ahead.

Latest posts

Back