Salvation Army prices are nuts!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stopped going by the Salvation Army 3 or 4 months ago, the prices they put on the bikes are crazy. Seems like any bike starts at $49.99. The only bike I've bought from them, was a mid 80"s girls Huffy cruiser that I did a sex change on. I payed $35.00 for it last summer. Yesterday my wife and I went out for lunch, and happened to drive by there on our way back. They had 4 bikes out front, 2 Walmart mountain bikes, and 2 cruisers, a boys and a girls. I didn't stop, but I could see the girls was an old Schwinn. I work 2nd shift, so I left a little early to go back and check them out. The girls Schwinn, was a mid to late 60's bike, that had been left outside. All the chrome was shot, no hope of cleaning it up, and it was priced at $99.99. The boys cruiser was a newer Walmart cruiser in just about the same shape, it was priced at $89.99. You can buy them new for that. Crazy, Dean

I noticed the thrift stores jacking up the prices last year. Not just a normal increase, they upped the bikes by 30-50%. Almost as much as a new walmart bike. The good bikes somehow are priced well, but cheap ones go through the roof.

Must depend on where you live. I went to the SA on Wednesday on my lunch break and someone had dropped off a girls Schwinn middleweight. It has been repainted, but it has nice chrome 26 inch S7 wheels and a deluxe chain guard. Cost me $10.75 with tax.

Crassly said:
Must depend on where you live. I went to the SA on Wednesday on my lunch break and someone had dropped off a girls Schwinn middleweight. It has been repainted, but it has nice chrome 26 inch S7 wheels and a deluxe chain guard. Cost me $10.75 with tax.
Now that's what they should cost. The same bike as the 100 dollar girls Schwinn would be 20 to 25 dollars at any swapmeet. Dean

Prices at thrift stores here are all over the place.

Invariably the bikes worth a small fortune that I've bought are priced $15 or less. While all the Magna's, Nexts and assorted other junk are $30-$40. Makes no sense, but works out OK as I can usu get a deal! :D

None of the thrift stores around me even sell bikes, lol. But I do notice they watch trends. When all the kids were buying those mesh trucker hats because ashton kusher wore one. I would go there with $4 and walk out with 10 hats, Go home and sell them on ebay for $10 a piece. Just about the time they were getting harder to sell and I had to sell for less (like $6) the local salvation armys, goodwills and other shops started selling the hats for $4 to $5 so It was no longer worth it to me. Same thing with belt buckels. Finally I gave up. It was a very profitable way of making some cash though while it lasted.

Latest posts

Back