Saved from the scrapyard.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Went up to the scrapyard today to clean out some junk in my shed and I see something that made me think to myself "Some people have more money than brains." I see this Mongoose Rebel hanging out of the scrap bin, Tires were full of air, small drive sprocket in the rear, only thing wrong with it was the seat was trashed so I threw one on it I had laying around. Cost me a whole $5. :mrgreen: Got to love an easy flip.

Mongoose.jpg

Nice save.

wish the scrapyards here would sell stuff, I've seen vintage bikes smushed, aluminum mags wheels run over by a loader as I watched, before I could snag em, etc. just plain greed in NY for metal ( redneck gold, as one guy who says he scrapped 600 bikes told me ) .

Green Dragon said:
Nice save.

wish the scrapyards here would sell stuff, I've seen vintage bikes smushed, aluminum mags wheels run over by a loader as I watched, before I could snag em, etc. just plain greed in NY for metal ( redneck gold, as one guy who says he scrapped 600 bikes told me ) .

:cry: Ouch, that sucks, there's only two scrapyards that will let you buy here, the third won't sell anything out of the yard. I try to get the word around that I buy bikes for more than scrap. So far I have 5 scrappers that come by my place regularly.

I normally try to always keep my eyes on the scrapyards every few days too but still there are some that slip through my fingers. I have made quite a few bike saves from my local scrapyard.
I pay on average $5 a bike. For that price if it has one good tube the rest is free parts. Here's just a few:

Coppertonecollegate003.jpg

PB180033.jpg

P4190017.jpg

P4190019.jpg

bike.jpg

PA270187.jpg

PA270188.jpg

P9090107.jpg

P9090124.jpg

P9090106.jpg

Todayshaul72412002.jpg

Half the bikes in this photo
I also have had tons of good thrift store finds since it is next door to the scrapyard.
$10 Dyno
P3310011.jpg

$4 Schwinn

Todayshaul72412001.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
:cry: Ouch, that sucks, there's only two scrapyards that will let you buy here, the third won't sell anything out of the yard. I try to get the word around that I buy bikes for more than scrap. So far I have 5 scrappers that come by my place regularly.

Yep, I have started networking with the scrappers, too, 5 bucks or less is still more then scrap price :)

Have had some nice ones saved that way, too.. better than seeing em smushed :(

Thrift stores here are high $, like 45.00 for an old AMF 5 speed with rotted tires and rust rust rust.. I passed, lol .

Keep finding and saving them :)

wish you was closer I got a hump back schwinn I'd trade for that cantilever schwinn

Latest posts

Back