Saving Old Cables

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I don't know if this of help to anyone, maybe its old news or doesn't matter, but I figured I'd post it anyway. I don't really like to buy anything new if I can help it, and I recently discovered how to un-stick really tough old bicycle brake cables (-this probably works on shifter cables too). If you have tried Kroil/Wd-40 and gentle working of the cable and can't get it freed up, You can pull the housing straight, clamp it gently (but tight enough to withstand some pulling) in a vice, and clamp vise grips on the ball end and pull it free with a little effort. (Just be careful not to pull too hard and pull the cable through, because the brake cable ends are usually frayed and don't push back through easily). I've done this a couple times, it seems to work great and doesn't hurt anything. Save $15 and keep those old cables. :lol: Hope this is useful.

Just make sure they're still good and will hold up when you wail on them. A few days ago I was riding with a not so old (2 years) brake cable that snapped as I approached a stop light. Probably should have replaced it after last winter. If the cables are good, this could be a good trick. If they're questionable, just get new ones.

It seems to me steel isn't as good as it used to be, I'm not sure if that's true or not. Thank you for the reply.

I think that replacing the actual cable is a must do maintenance item on almost any bike rebuild. The cables themselves are only a couple a dollars each. The cable housing is more but not that much and it can usually be salvaged to keep the vintage look.

I save even the old cables themselves because I've got something against new stuff. :lol: None have failed me yet! You're right, the cables themselves should be replaced, but you can save the housings for the vintage look.

I save the housings all the time unless they're just the typical black kind. The white ribbed ones look better when they've yellowed a bit. I never save the actual cables tho, I guess it's just habit from being in a shop all the time. The only super old cables I've ever actually "salvaged" are the Raleigh specific ones that can't be removed from their housings. They're a biscuit to find and way expensive when you find em.

If you do pull the cable out of the housing, which is the best way to lube them anyway. Use a pair of cable cutters, or wire cutters, which I actually prefer, and square up the end of the cable, if it frays, you can twist the little wires back into place, then look at the way the cable is twisted, and install it in the housing by twisting in the opposite direction, either the cable or the housing. The housing should have no kinks in it, for this to work easily. I like very light oil, like Singer sewing machine oil,available at Wally World.

When dealing with frayed cable ends, I pull out the dremel with the fine cut-off wheel, and zap it at the point where the fray stops. Then, mix up a lil dab of epoxy and dip the freshly cut end in, coating the cable about an inch or so in length.
Perfect for when you're test fitting, as you can usually get away with several install/removal cycles.
Rick

Back