Schwinn and Mongoose love child

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the d.i.y. aspect of this site a lot. . . . I am mostly a car guy but I ride a bike 10 miles a day so I figure I might as well like my ride. I just finished re-working my single speed commuter bike so I thought I should contribute something to this site.

I always loved the look of the old school mongoose bikes with the gussets, and the lines of the schwinn cantilever frames so I put them together into a sort of BMX/Klunker look. I started with a 1949 frame that already had brazed and smoothed joints, and a '56 springer fork. Then I made up some gussets with a raised ring to trim out the hole. Welded them it and smoothed it all out. Painted it and assembled it yesterday. I hope you all dig it.

Oh, and that wierd bracket on the stem- it's the baby seat mount . . . I drop my 2 year old off at day care 2 days a week. The ultimate accessory!

side.jpg

top.jpg

That's really a fine looking bike! I like that you've painted the springer fork to match, and that colour is very nice too! :)

This bike is VERY cool.

Love the Schwinn seat and the Schwinn style grips too.

The clover leaf sprocket with the 3 piece crank is killer. :D

Awesome. I am not usually a fan of gold, but that is great.

Love the gusset and the Hanks!

Very clean build! It looks perfect!

dude this bike really looks sweet!!! im usually not a fan of gold either but this one looks really nice. i bet that bike is fast too!

Easy E

Thanks for all of the cool comments-

texasbigjon said:
very sweet combination! just when you think you`ve seen it all,another bike comes along and blows your mind! :D

Bikes are pretty simple objects, but I have seen so many interesting ways to put them together on this site, it's amazing.

Very nice bike. Well thought out and very well executed. Is it a single speed coaster brake? I can't quite make it out. (getting old and squinting at my 21" monitor)

lets see the ultimate accessory setup. I would love to see the other patents at daycare when you drop off your kid

Latest posts

Back